Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling an Avaya SIP phone from its own number..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TN94z

Technical User
Apr 15, 2010
US
I was not sure how to title this thread but here is the explanation. CM and all relevant servers are release 10. I have a department with a few SIP desk phones (J169) that are all logged in as 111-222-3333. The department also has a wireless (Spectralink 8440) extension logged in as this same number for when they are off the floor and still need to answer the main line. The problem comes in when there are people in the department and a tech has taken the phone to another floor to run an EKG. The department needs to call the tech and ask them to pickup another room while they are on the floor. When the try to call their department number (same as the wireless phone), it goes to voicemail because of their coverage path. I have thought about changing the extension on the wireless phone and just having them call forward their department number when they are all out of the department, but they are used to the old Nortel where this was not an issue.
Am I missing something?? I know when I'm on the phone and a second call comes in, it rings my desk phone before covering to voicemail, so I guess this is what confuses me as to why the CM thinks the line is busy?

Sounds like you're using multiple device access (MDA). It's kind of like having many TNs use the same DN but not really. You're not going to get around a coverage path kicking in when an extension calls itself.

Is this the use case?
When people need an EKG, they call 111-222-3333.
We usually have multiple people in the department answering the J169s. When someone needs an EKG, a person from the department needs to go out to do that and they bring the Spectralink.
If someone else needs an EKG, they call 111-222-3333.
If there's still people in the department, they should answer on a J169 and then get in touch with the Spectralink that's already left the department.
If there was only 1 person in the department to begin with, they'd take the first call on a J169, leave with the Spectralink, and need to answer subsequent calls to 111-222-3333 from the Spectralink.

If someone calls 111-222-3333, do you want it to ring all the J169s AND the Spectralink at the same time?
Or would you rather it ring all the J169s for a bit first and then the Spectralink?
Is there a reason a J169 user would ever need to call 111-222-3333 to speak to another J169 user?
Or would they only ever call that number if they answered a call from an outside number and needed to call the Spectralink?

Maybe you just give the Spectralink its own extension - 111-222-4444 - and then have a coverage path on 111-222-3333 that rings 111-222-4444 a few times and then goes to voicemail. The J169 users in the department could call 111-222-4444 to hit the Spectralink immediately, but if they called 111-222-3333 on their own, they'd hit coverage and ring 111-222-4444 before voicemail. Works great until you need J169 users on MDA to reach each other. Assuming your only problem is J169s calling the Spectralink, I'm guessing you don't have a need/use case for the J169s to call one another.

Let's say that works for you and let's say your coverage path kicks in at 5 rings. You would need 5 rings for the coverage path to engage if nobody was in the department and then ring the Spectralink for a another 5 rings before going to voicemail. If you're ok with that, great.

If not, spell it out a little further and I'm sure there's a way to get close enough to what you need.

If someone calls 111-222-3333, do you want it to ring all the J169s AND the Spectralink at the same time? [highlight #FCE94F]Yes[/highlight]
Or would you rather it ring all the J169s for a bit first and then the Spectralink? [highlight #FCE94F]That isn't how they "want" it to work, but may be the option. Any they would probably be fine with that[/highlight]
Is there a reason a J169 user would ever need to call 111-222-3333 to speak to another J169 user? [highlight #FCE94F]No[/highlight]
Or would they only ever call that number if they answered a call from an outside number and needed to call the Spectralink? [highlight #FCE94F]Yes[/highlight]

Maybe you just give the Spectralink its own extension - 111-222-4444 - and then have a coverage path on 111-222-3333 that rings 111-222-4444 a few times and then goes to voicemail. The J169 users in the department could call 111-222-4444 to hit the Spectralink immediately, but if they called 111-222-3333 on their own, they'd hit coverage and ring 111-222-4444 before voicemail. Works great until you need J169 users on MDA to reach each other. Assuming your only problem is J169s calling the Spectralink, I'm guessing you don't have a need/use case for the J169s to call one another.

[highlight #FCE94F]No, the J169s are all at the same desk, so there is no need to call each other. This is basically what I had in mind if I had to change the number on the Spectralink[/highlight]

Let's say that works for you and let's say your coverage path kicks in at 5 rings. You would need 5 rings for the coverage path to engage if nobody was in the department and then ring the Spectralink for a another 5 rings before going to voicemail. If you're ok with that, great.

[highlight #FCE94F]I think this would be fine.[/highlight]

After further investigation within their department, it turns out there is a phone within their department that has it's own specific extension. So they are going to make it a practice to call from that phone when trying to reach the wireless phone. Thanks for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back