Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling an ASP page from a HTML page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
WE want to call an ASP page that will contain our site navigation in html. But call it from pages with .htm extension. Our site is on an NT server. Is this workable?

It certainly is, as long as your NT server can run asp pages (most of them do) Derren
[Mediocre talent - spread really thin]

You mean you want to dynamically include an ASP page into HTML page, like you do with include files?

I am pretty sure you can't do that...

You can use frames to do it, though.

Or, why not just rename .htm file to .asp? Is there any specific reason you don't want to do it?

Then, in page1.asp you would just do Server.Execute("page2") to display the site navigation...

Hope this helps :) <Dmitriy>
dbrom@crosswinds.net

It sounds to me like you are asking whether or not you can use #include to include an asp file from a .htm file. The answer is no, you can't. I tried for days and days to do this and found nothing. Unless there is an IIS patch out there, you will have to rename the .htm file to be one that supports the include directive. (asp, cgi, cf). Brett Birkett B.Comp
Systems Analyst

I really should read the question properly. I had this idea that they were using a frameset. [sleeping2] Derren
[Mediocre talent - spread really thin]

Thankyou for your replies to date.
Unfortunately if we rename our existing .htm pages to .asp, we screw up our page positions on search engines. So final conclusion is each page that will contain the Server Side Include must be saved with the .asp extension?

Yes, or .cgi, or cold fusion etc..
Brett Birkett B.Comp
Systems Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back