Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling AMD GURU's for AMD Athlon 64x2 Compatible memory? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcglitch

Technical User
Jul 9, 2004
US
Hi Gang,
I've acquired an AMD Athlon 64x2 CPU that appears to work great.
It came with 1Gb of ram and a burnt mobo. I've invested in a new mobo model. Here are the specs which I have so far.

Biostar N68S+
CPU - AMD Athlon 64x2 AD04000IAA5DD (4000)Dual Core.
Memory - Samsung 2x512mb PC2 5300U (DDR2 667)

So far this setup runs great as I tested with winxp so now I am wanting to Max out the mobo memory to 8Gb and install Win7 and a nice video card and convert it to a medium grade gaming system.

The mobo says it can handle 533, 667, 800, 1066 types of ram according to CPU compatibilty.

My question is, will this CPU work with 800 and 1066? or will it only work with the 667 that its working with now?

Any help or info about this CPU would be greatful, as this is my first AMD CPU and I dont know jack about its fsb or clock speeds.

Also, I found this page (see Attachment) but it doesnt seem clear what types of ram can work with this CPU.

The memory works with the motherboard, whatever the supported processor.

The processor works with the motherboard, whatever the supported memory.

8GB is supported. Your processor is supported.

Choose the fastest memory for your games, or whatever you can afford.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the reply flyboytim, While I was waiting on a reply I also kept looking thru the net trying to get some kind of answer as to what speed of memory the CPU and motherboard can handle.

I know the 667 works as that is what I have right now, but if I can go faster, then that is what I want, but how much faster in memory speed can I go? 800? 1066?

I came across this AMD website dated back from 2007 about DDR2 and AM2 cpu's. So now it seems the CPU I have, will only work with 800mhz DDR2 and not the 1066 that the mobo is compatible upto. Perhaps the mobo can handle another style of AMD that can make use of the 1066?

Awesome, I will do exactly that, I came across a few memory upgrade charts from kingston and some others but every one I came across did not include the motherboard I have which is a biostar N68S+. Thanks again flyboytim, I'll check out crucials upgrade recconmendations to give me an idea.

After coming across the AMD website, I realized I could have just asked them (AMD). So I called them, and the tech support said the CPU will accept any size, speed that the motherboard will support. And about the 800mhz top speed listed on the page I listed, he said that was just outdated info and the 1066 speed should work just fine. Sooooo...

Thanks again flyboytim as your first post was correct, it just didnt sink into my think head at first sight :)

Now if speed is 'the goal' you need to be looking for 1066 memory, with the lowest latency possible. The heat sinked type from Kingston/OCZ/Geil/Patriot/Crucial/G.Skill/Corsair

Corsair Dominator series would be a good bet.

Remember to run these default low latencey speeds the memory voltage usually needs increasing for stable performance.

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Just one thing, make sure you have the latest BIOS for your MoBo, just because the board is "new" doesn't meant the firmware is.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back