Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling all Unity UM gurus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoIPey

Technical User
Aug 27, 2003
US
I've done this with Nortel and non-VoIP based systems but haven't figured this one out. Basically, I'm after the ability to dial an extension to directly leave a VM for a user, not after ringing through to the voice mail and not after entering my UM box to "send" a message.

Aside from confuring call handlers for all users, can anybody tell me an easy way to send a caller directly to voice mail?

CCM3.3(3)
Unity 4.0 Unified Messaging

Dial * then the extension (ie *1234) and it will put you directly into the mailbox for that extension

Enter *+extension from where? Within unity system I assume? That prompts me to login with my credentials (which then allows me to send a message, but it's 7 steps away).

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do then... if you just pick up the phone and dial *extn then you will get the voicemail box for that extension. You don't need to dial unity first or anything.

Oh, at the dialtone you hit * and then the extension? That would require setup within CCM, right? At the main dialtone, if you hit star it goes blank and after any number it rings busy. I wonder how the CCM pattern/filter was configured on your system?

Thanks for the assistance...any help is greatly appreciated!

What version of CallManager are you running? I have CallManager 3.2 and it is built in. If you have CCM 3.1 then I believe it will not work.

Nope...we're on CCM3.3(3) with Unity 4.0 Unified Messaging. I'm curious what the * points to, does it redirect to unity or some other form VM redirection that's built into CCM. I'll bounce around Cisco's cryptic site and see if anything pops out on the matter. THanks!

The * will only do what you define it to do. Anything that is * in your system has been defined. its not automatically in the system. Basically the only way you can really do this would be to make phantom extensions..

BuckWeet

Yes, thanks...However, unless I'm reading this incorrectly, you must define a CTI DN for each user if you want the ability to send directly to their VM. Or, with wildcards, you can send to all users at once. But not in between? I'm (hoepfully) smokin' crack on this one, but afraid this is correct. Thanks!

The wildcards allow it for all users. If you don't like that idea then yes you would have to set it up for each individual user.

Yes, that's exactly what I was after. The Cisco doc's were as cryptic as usual and said that it's only for 'defined' users as well as all users. Anyway, thanks much!

To send a caller directly to VM you select the transfer softkey, then dial the Unity operator. As soon as you hear the operators voice you dial the extension (VMailbox) you would like to send them to and then the "#" and "2" and the transfer softkey again(or simply hang-up). This will put the caller directly into the intended party's voicemail. This is a Cisco default setting. You do not need to create any CTI route pts. Although I do like the idea of creating the CTI route point and not having to dial the additional characters.

You have already figured it out, but if you do a search on CCO using the search criteria 'TransferToVM' you will find the docs on setting up the voicemail profile to send a call directly to Unity with what is essentially redirected DNIS to get Unity to understand that it needs to handle the call for the given extension just as if CallManager had sent the call to Unity on a ring no answer or call forward busy or call forward all to voicemail. The docs are pretty straightforward. We define this on every CallManager deployment we get involved with as most folks eventually ask for it anyway.

Pat

Yup, I know if sure makes people happy that you set it up on our system. I got my 3.3(3) CDs in today so I'm gonna start testing and hopefully upgrade the cluster before the end of the month!

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back