Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling a Web Service and provide credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canelas

Programmer
Feb 20, 2008
PT
Hi everyone.

I have a web service written by me, that calls another web service.

Thing is... when i make a request, i get the error...

"System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)".

The web service exists and is listening, because i can call it when running code in Visual Studio Compiler.
I believe this happens because the web service doesn't support anonymous access.

I need to pass along credentials with the web service.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Oh... by the way... the web service is behind a firewall.
I think i need to authenticate myself in the proxy server but i really don't know how to do this.

Thanks.

Setup a test site which excludes the firewall. this only complicates the scenario. use a box (other than the development machine) to host the service and another box (again not the dev machine)to access the service. if this doesn't work fix the bugs until it does. Then move the firewall scenario and test.

The test server/client machine could be virtual boxes hosted on your dev box, if you do not physical have boxes for testing.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back