Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller wants to know when called ext is busy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rejackson

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2005
US
The old Nortel system would flash "busy" on the LCD if the phone you were calling was actually busy.

They want the Avaya to do it now. I am thinking the difference is that the phones on the Avaya have 3 call appearances and the Nortel only had 2.

Is there any way to tell the caller if any of the call appearances are busy on an extension that they call?

You can give people an BUSY-IND button, but that's not practical for everyone unless you have a very small company/department.

Susan
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

Hi,

Why not try reducing the Call Appearance's in the Station Form to (2) and then set :

Restrict Last Appearance to 'Y' - Tab 2 of the Station form.

This will stop calls coming into 2nd appearance when on the phone, it will only be used when Transferring a call.

Regards, Steve.

I have 450 phones with 3 call appearances. The third one is restricted. Even if I make the first two appearances busy the third call goes straight to cover with no indication that the phone was busy.

Sorry if I am being an idiot, Long Day !!

If the call goes to the Cover Path isn't that an indication that they are busy ?

Yeah, but thats only if both appearances are busy. If just one is busy it rings and they cannot tell if the person is there or not.

I am looking into posted messages. It looks like a manual process.

If they really want things like they had with Nortel, follow sjw3140's suggestion and reduce their call appearences to two, with the second one restricted.

Susan
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

Can't you use the "active option" in the cov p for internal calls

Rob

Yeah, but thats only if both appearances are busy. If just one is busy it rings and they cannot tell if the person is there or not.

Change the coverage criteria from busy to active:
"Active" means: busy on one or more call appearances
"Busy means": active on all incoming call appearances.
This way you don't have to reduce the amount of line appearances.

You could also change the coverage path in a way that calls do not redirect at all when the station is active or busy. That way you can have your busy tone, but than you'll have to reduce the amount of call appearances since the station is only considered busy when there are no free incoming call appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back