Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID on 3G networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeLombardo

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2009
US
I've been testing some new cell phones and the ones that are on 3G cellular networks do not receive Caller ID when the call originates from or is routed through Call Manager.

Whether calling from an extension to the cell phone or calling from outside the Call Manager into the systen and getting routed to the cell phone through call forwarding or remote destination, no Caller ID shows up.

If I call the 3G phone directly (bypassing Call Mananger) I get caller ID info.

If I run the same tests to a cell phone on GPRS or EDGE cellular networks I consistently get Caller ID info.

How do I make Call Manager pass Caller ID to a 3G cell phone?

It must be the way the call is presented to the 3G carrier that's not compatible. Call manager does not know if it is calling a 3G network or not.
I would work with your PRI and 3G carrier and see what it is that is making the 3G ignore the CLID.
btw I have a 3G phone and I do not experience that issue at all. Neither does any other user as far as i know.

We had an issue similar to yours. We found out that while using NI2 on the PRI through a particular central office we had CID problems only to a certain wirless carrier.

The fix for us was to use NI1 on the PRI.. The problem was really in the Central Office.. We confirmed this by duplicating the same problem from another location within the same CO. I help this helps!

[americanflag] Go Army!
Tek-TIP Member 19,650

I am using AS5300 and my carrier is using 5ess, ni2, ni1 (multiple carriers). I have changed the settings from the T1-PRI isdn switch-type primary-ni1 or ni2, dms100. For some reason the call has the same resul (calls to 3g ATT network still unknown, i tried to call my BB which is EDGE and CID is fine.

Any other ideas?

Hello
I had this issue and after two weeks of working with AT&T we finally figured out this solution.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried changing the ISDN switch type and it still fails. I disable 3G on the phone and it works like a charm.

I'm using AT&T as a PRI provider, and as a cellular provider. Strange that it works fine when calling AT&T PRI => Verizon celluar, but not AT&T PRI => AT&T cellular.

I'm also very interested in this. We've had this issue now for several months since ATT turned up 3g in my area. Just like Jfaraone, if I turn off 3g on my phone and use Edge the caller id works great.

motagoblin's fix resolved it for me. It was a setting in the Call Manager. I didn't need to change anything on the service provider's side (thank goodness).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back