Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID issue 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedBWild

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2008
US
After setting up the menu system (both day and night menus), the caller ID no longer shows the number, instead, when a caller chooses a specific extension, it only shows that it was transfered from extension xx, or is on trunk 001. Is there a way to turn on the Caller ID, or is this disabled once you have an auto attendant? Thanks.

*** This is an Avaya Merlin Messaging system, with an MLX-20L as the operators phone, which is really the only one that needs the caller ID. Thanks.

You need to set Caller-ID Delay for each line connected to the system - if the voicemail autoattendant is answering calls immediately. The caller ID info is only passed between the 1st and 2nd ring. The Caller-ID Delat setting makes the first ring into the system "silent" - so caller ID info can get passed to the voicemail.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Right now we have it settup that it rings once very quickly at all phones, then the auto attendant picks up. Is that under system programming?

If you don't want the "blurp" ring everytime the autoattendant answers a call - you need to set the lines for "delayed" ring - at each phone.

And yes - Caller-ID Delay is set in system programming as follows: Menu, system program, start/exit, lines/trunks, More, Caller-ID Delay, entry mode - keyin each phone line (e.g., 801 enter, 802 enter, etc.) - then press Inspect to make sure all are there.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

That was it, Thanks a lot.

-TeD

I'm having the same problem with our phone system.
We had Caller ID features but every time calls come in, the phone only shows "Outside"

I tried the solution above but when I enter Extention# and enter it, it just beeps

We use Extention 10-15 (for intercom) and i would guess this is the same as the Trunk Line ? or is it different ? if it's different, how can i check what is the Trunk line for each extension.

Thanks very much, any help is greatly appreciated.
PS: I read the manual but didn't really help.

You don't enter the extention number - you enter the line number under the LS-ID Delay settings. Line 1 is 801; line 2 is 802, etc. If the system beeps when you try to enter line numbers - it is because your line modules (408 GS/LS MLX and or 800 GS/LS) are not caller ID capable. There were two versions of each module - one version (the newer one) had Caller ID capability - the older versions did not.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Thank You for your answer, It does beep when I enter 801 and Enter

How can i check the line module version ? from the Phone ?
Using MLX-20L also.

Thanks a bunch

Yes you can from the 20L, press Menu, Maintenance, System, Inventory. The first module displayed will be the processor (slot 00). Press More - and you will see the next module in slot 01. If this is a 408 module - see if the description says 408 GS/LS MLX or 408 GLM-U. If it displays 408 GS/LS MLX then the module is not caller ID capable. If it says 408 GLM-U - look at the application vintage. If it is lower than 28 or 26 (I forget which) then the module needs to be upgraded for caller ID to work. The newest application firmware version is 32.

If the module is an 800 GS/LS module - again look at the description. If 800 GLM-U or GL-ID then it is capable of caller ID. The newest application vintage is 14.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Thank You very much, It seems that our module are not capable of CallerID

because it says: Board 408 GS/LS-MLX
Hardware Vintage: 02
Firmware Vintage: 28

Is there a workaround other than having to purchase a new module and replace the old one ?

Thanks very much

There is no work around - you need to replace the 408 GS/LS MLX module with one that is caller-ID capable

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Thank You very much for your assistance.

What i meant by workaround was maybe buying an external caller ID and connected to the phone ? or something like that

instead of reinstalling the whole system again.

Thanks

You do not need to reinstall the whole system - just swap out your non-caller ID 408 module for one that has that capability.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Gotcha, but i dont know if it's really worth it to spent extra money just to have caller ID features (any other benefit from upgrading ?), i check around and it cost $99+ for the module.

No other benefit - just Caller ID

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back