Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID display issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhelms

MIS
Jan 14, 2013
US
I've run into an odd Caller ID display issue and was hoping to get some help. I recently installed two new circuits for our phone system, after the install though the caller ID information is being truncated on the phones, specifically the first letter, always. So if I receive a call from a Wireless Caller it comes through as ireless Caller. All calls on all sets display the same, no matter how short or long the Caller ID information is, my switch vendor and telco are both saying it's not them, anyone seen something like this? Idea's?

thanks ,nick

Forgot to mention, internal caller ID displays correctly, the issue is only with external caller ID information.

thanks, nick

CLID normally refers to the number - sounds like you are asking about the incoming Name?

Best way to figure out is to look at DChannel messages

If your DCHannel is 12, do the following
ld 96
.set msgi 12 mon 2
. enl msgi 12
.stat mon If it says TTY disabled do the following
.enl mon tty

make an inbound call and post the results. We will use our decoder rings to see what telco sent.

ld 96
.dis msgi 12 to disable messages

I tried the commands but I'm not getting anything on screen, I'm using Putty to cslogin to the Signalling server, is there a command to send the output there while I enable the msgi? I don't have anything hooked up for the tty.

thanks, nick

Make sure your PTY has MTC as a user. This will give you system messages.

It's a phone system, NOT a clock!

when you 1st login to PBX, it shows what TTY you are using. Print TTY by doing the following:

LD 22
req: prt
Type: ADAN TTY xx

look for prompt USR - to see DCH messages you need MTC. if not there

LD 17
Req:CHG
Type: ADAN
ADAN: chg tty xx

USR: mtc

now enable DCH messages and paste back

Thanks Reusser, that worked! Here is what I get after enabling msgi for the DCH

DCH 21 IMSG SETUP REF 00008785 CH 4 1 TOD 11:00:46 CK DC242D34
HEADER:2F 01 00 35 08 02 07 85 05
BCAP:04 03 80 90 A2
CHID:18 03 A9 83 01
DISP:28 0F 57 49 52 45 4C 45 53 53 20 43 41 4C
4C 45 52
CLNG:6C 0C 21 81 02 0A 02 02 07 07 06 08 06 05
CLED:70 05 80 04 01 04 06

DCH 21 IMSG DISC REF 00008785 CH 4 1 TOD 11:00:58 CK DC248F89
HEADER:2F 01 00 09 08 02 07 85 45
CSE :08 02 82 90

DCH 21 IMSG REL COMP REF 00008785 CH 4 1 TOD 11:00:58 CK DC248FBC
HEADER:2F 01 00 05 08 02 07 85 5A

nick

For some reason your Display Information Element(IE) appears to be missing an octet.

DISP:28 0F 57 49 52 45 4C 45 53 53 20 43 41 4C 4C 45 52

If you break it down
28 = the type of IE, always 28 for the Calling Name display
0F = the length of the IE, in this case 15
xx = this octet is for coding and location information but appears to be missing in your example
57 = ascii W
49 = ascii I
52 = ascii R

So the last 15 octets spell "WIRELESS CALLER"

Like I said, I think the third octet should be something other than "W" but it has been omitted. Could be a protocol mismatch between each end of the PRI and I would say that the far end is wrong.
What is each end set for?

To read the D channel messages in english not hex type the following,
LD 96
SET MSGI x MON 0
SET MSGO x MON 0

It's a phone system, NOT a clock!

Sorry to be so late in following up on this post, I was on vacation and then I had a terrible time getting the AT&T engineer assigned to the ticket back on the phone for troubleshooting. We did some further testing, we use an AT&T managed router for internet and phone service, two PRI's come out of the router and go into our CS1000. When he tested from his side on the router incoming caller informaton was displaying correctly without the truncated first letter so it looks like it's when the call is passed from the router to the switch. He said they are using the following protocols

encap: HDLC
ISDN: PRI-NI
ISDN Prot Emulation: Network
ISDN Incoming Voice: Voice
and the Controller card is providing clock.

My PRI's are set as follows:

REQ prt
TYPE adan dch 20

ADAN DCH 20
CTYP TMDI
MG_CARD 020 0 03
PORT 1
DES DID
USR PRI
DCHL 3
OTBF 32
PARM RS232 DTE
DRAT 64KC
CLOK EXT
IFC D100
SIDE USR
CNEG 1
RLS ID **
RCAP
MBGA NO
OVLR NO
OVLS NO
T200 3
T203 10
N200 3
N201 260
K 7

Does anything looke like a mismatch?

thanks, Nick

You should have something for RLS ID. Try 35 or 26.
You should probably have RCAP ND2 for Name Display version but could be ND1.

Just checking to see if you got the problem sovled and what the solution was. I just had a customer go to SIP trunks converted to PRI with the Adtran and they are having the same issue.

Hawks,

I have not, I've been through all levels of Avaya support and AT&T/cisco support but everyone say's it's not their problem, caller ID information leaves the cisco switch on the PRI channel with full info, when the PRI TDMI card receives it on the CS1000 it's missing the first letter. I've convinced my switch vendor to swap out my existing PRI TDMI cards with the new UTC PRI cards from Avaya to see if that fixes the issue. The switchout should happen in the next week or so. I'll update after we've tested.

nick

Not sure but there might be a setting on the Cisco router that will fix this.
Google "Send Extra Leading Character in Display IE".
Apparently this is not an uncommon issue.

Thanks Stanley, we tried that, there is setting for both the display and information IE character, unfortunately didn't fix it.

nhelms, I’ve started another thread, maybe someone has found a solution I’m sure we’re not the only 2 converting SIP to PRI, I hope. I’m also having problems forwarding an outside call are you having this problem to?

Standard PRI converted to SIP PRI?
thread798-1712722

I would recommend changing the interface type to NI2 with RCAP = NDS

Thanks Reusser, I tried that as well and no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back