Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Server Issues after IP and DHCP Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLTMB

Systems Engineer
Mar 8, 2023
GB
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help with this strange problem.

We are changing the IP address of a phone system that handles the DHCP for a large cluster. The IP change goes well and we change the DHCP options to match the IP range, however since the change, the Mitel phones no longer connect to the call server of the Mitel, even though they do get an address from the DHCP and can be seen clearly in the lease viewer.

Here are some tests we have carried out:

- Disconnected system from cluster and just using switches connected to system (this hasn't been unclustered from the system)
- Disconnected system from switching and plugged Mitel 6920 phone directly into LAN port via a PoE injector
- Defaulted phone and same issue occurs
- Statically assigning the phone also doesn't work
- Looking at network status shows the call server as blank in the settings
- Installed backup on new system and repeated the above, same issue persists
- On bootup in VXWorks, system IP change is present
- IP/PBX networking is currently blank, tried inserting new addressing but makes no change

If you have any suggestions or have seen this before, please let me know.

Many thanks

have you verified DHCP option 125 has the correct call server and TFTP server IP address?

would probably help to get the details of the Ip address changes and the settings used in Option 125
sounds like its an older system as you are referring to vxworks whats the exact software version

its it physical or virtual
is it an MXE expanded ?

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

The call server and TFTP server have the new IP address in the DHCP options as well as the Mitel Phone ID String.

The system is an MiVoice Business 8 SP3 PR1/version 14.0.3.22 which makes it even stranger, its a fairly new system.

It is a physical Mitel 3300 MXE-III but not the expanded variant as far as I'm aware

Did you update the IP address in the IP/XNET Trunk forms on the MiVB as well?

What happens if you plug a laptop into a port that gets DHCP from the MiVB, what DHCP values do you get?

IP/XNET trunk forms have the new updated address in place

Plugging in a laptop to the front does provide me with a DHCP address on the range

Doing a bit more trial and error, I've noticed in the Mitel 6920 that the call server IP address is the old IP address of the Mitel system. Restoring the phone to factory settings doesn't resolve the issue. It's almost as if the Mitel is ignoring the details I am putting in the DHCP options.

Do you have Option 125 in there or the old options 128, 129, 130 etc?

why dont you post the actual settings or a screen shot - might help in identifying the issue

After changing the IP address in the IP/XNET trunk form you need to reboot the controller otherwise it will keep the old IP address.
Did you do this?

3 - Router - 10.135.1.1
6 - DNS - 10.132.1.254
125 - Mitel - id:ipphone.mitel.com;sw_tftp=10.135.1.11;call_srv=10.135.1.11;dscp=46v46s26
128 - TFTP Server - 10.135.1.11
129 - Call Server - 10.135.1.11
130 - IP Phone Identifier - MITEL IP PHONE
134 - DSCP - 46

These are the options the Mitel is using, address range is 10.135.1.50-10.135.1.199.

THe address that comes up in the call server settings on the phone is 10.101.50.11 which is the system's old address. This address was the Call Server and the TFTP Server address in the options above before the change.

ICP/PBX networking address has also been changed to the new address.

Please also note that this is with a phone directly connected with a PoE injector so no LAN or other DHCP interference. This is also a new phone out the box, it has never been connected to the system with the old IP address. Should also point out that even when the DHCP server is disabled on the Mitel and the phone is assigned statically, it still picks up the old call server address.

Also performed a DMBS Check Full and returned no errors.

Very strange issue

I have only seen this when the IP/XNET trunk address hasn't been changed.

Have you rebooted the controller after changing the IP/XNET address? Pretty sure it needs a reboot.

Also noticed your call server address in option 125 is .111 not .11 I assume you want it to be .111

Apologies, yes all addressing should be 10.135.1.11, I have edited the post

Originally when started the work, the address was blank but it has been entered since the changes and rebooted a few times, still the same issue

Are there any other MiVB's or MiVBG servers onsite you could use for DHCP whilst investigating this issue on this MiVB? Any 52xx or 53xx series phones you could plugin to see if you see a different result. You could try a backup and restore of the MiVB db, that often flushes out errors.

We have tried the same database in our test MXE-III which is on the same software level
All phones are 69 series so have to be working with them
I have tried the backup restore option as well

Hi all,

We managed to resolve the issue. Turns out there is a bug on the firmware version for the 69 series handsets.

We upgraded the system to version 9 which ultimately upgraded the handsets firmware for the 69 series.

This was fed back to Mitel as well as they had no clue why it was doing this.

Thanks for your help.

what firmware was faulty and what did you change it to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back