Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Routing Explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS-WRD

Technical User
Jul 23, 2020
US
Hello All,
I have a question surrounding routing. I may not have the most knowledge on routing with Avaya but this routing (see attached PDF) doesn't seem right to me. I don't know who created this vector, but it was created long before me. My question is, how does this actually route to any steps other than 1 thru 8 and 33 thru 34? From what I am seeing, the other steps would never get used so what is the point of them being there to begin with? Am I missing something? Is there something else I should check?

Thanks!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9a50e99c-f8f6-421e-a779-95d77e2b083d&file=Vector3.pdf
You could have other vectors referencing that vector/specific step. example: go to vector 3 step 9. The command: list usage will help you out along with creating visual call flows. example: if they hit step 7 it routes to 7065. Documenting what 7065 in the call flow would be helpful.

I think you are missing something.

Vector starts, if I = 1 you go to step 33. Fine.
If I=2 you go to step 4. But that's kind of redundant because if I is not 2, you'll just continue to step 4 anyway
You go to step 7 if there's no available agents, which routes you out of the vector or you go to step 33 that disconnects after a message.

I read that as a typical call center vector. If a global system variable I = 1, then there's a fire drill.
step 33 says "extenuating circumstances do not allow us to take your call".

Otherwise, if you have no available agents, you route to 7065
If you do have available agents, you disconnect after a message.

If does seem a little weird. Usually you'd disconnect/voicemail/do something else if you DON'T have available agents. You don't normally terminate the call when you DO have them available.

And then the vector is named "Main Attendant". Well, why would my "Main Attendant" vector disconnect you after a message if there's 1 or more people available in skill 7.

Your right, as configured, the other steps are not useable. Like the loop from step 12 to step 18 of going back to step 12 - so if you enter 0 you loop forever.

It looks like someone hack and slashed this vector over time and maybe step 4 sometimes says go to step 12 if available agents in skill 7 <1 - who knows.

I'd check what skill 7 is for - hunt group name. I'd list agent skill 7 to see who belongs to it and I'd get those announcements and listen to them and try to see what the menu is steering the caller to do to figure out what it's doing.

But yes, you have a puzzle. That I can confirm.

Thank you! I was creating a visio doc of the routing (I like to see call flows) and made a note to remove step 3 which is pointless. It is set up to route calls to our main attendant. If no one is signed on in skill 7 (one of the two attendants) it transfers to 7065. 7065 is a hunt group that routes into our customer service group so that part is right and makes sense to me. And I know you can route to other vectors & steps from within a vector step as well, but so far haven't found that. (But not 100% I have the correct commands to find those either.)

It looks like you stopped using the attendants then.

Because it goes to step 7 if there are no available people in skill 7

But if there are available people, it continues to step 5 and disconnects after a message.

If you planned on using people in skill 7, wouldn't it make more sense to have step 5 queue the call to skill 7?

I agree...it is not they way I would have done it. And, further investigation, I think someone made some random changes without checking everything. I found another vector that points to this one, but it goes to step 27 which loops to a message that is, according to this routing, supposed to collect 1 digit, but that message is completely informational and does not give an option for any digits to be collected. Seems there are a lot of things wrong with this routing. I am just surprised no one has complained about issues (I have been here 3 years and no one has said anything since I have been here - at least not to me and no one else still here knows anything about call routing). I will do more investigation and testing before I mess with it, but it certainly seems half baked to me.

Maybe it's the main attendant for a number of an office that you guys closed and took out of the yellow pages and a few people still have pinned on a post it on a cubicle wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back