Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call routing based on number dialed to reach IP Office 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

highmeh

MIS
Nov 20, 2003
US
We currently have one "main" line and are looking at purchasing multiple toll-free numbers. Each toll free number would be provided to a different client to give them a customized/dedicated feel. We are then looking to have our IP Office (500 v 2, R7) determine which number was dialed and route to the appropriate agent to answer. So ideally, it'd go like so:

Client A dials 1-800-555-1111. The IP Office sees the digits dialed, routes to Extension 101.
Client B dials 1-800-555-2222. The IP Office sees the digits dialed, route to Extension 102.

Ideally, the agent is able to see on their handset (1616-I) either "CLIENT A" if client A called, or "CLIENT B" if client b called.

Am I asking too much of the IP Office, or is this viable?

Usually (here...) a toll-free number is routed by the provider to one of you DIDs. So your only job should be to create a new ICR record for that number and fill the 'Tag' field. The tag will be displayed on the phone and in Softconsole if you have one.

You can route calls by what the IPO is receiving for digits so what you want to do is possible. The questions becomes how those toll free numbers are working. My guess is they are pointed to the same "main" line. That being the case, the IPO will see the call coming for the "main" line (not the toll free number dialed) and have no way to distinguish between the different calls. If you have a PRI/SIP you can order more direct dial numbers and have each toll free point to a different DID number. You can then route the call by the DID number the call is coming into. If you have POTS lines, you are going to be out of luck.

Thanks folks. We're pointing a toll-free number at a DID, so a new ICR+Tag label going to a hunt group seems like the winning way to do it. We do use a PRI so that should be a cakewalk. I appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back