Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Recording 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

homemade88

Technical User
Mar 18, 2013
BS
Hi all,

I'm looking for some available options for call recording to implement into an existing IP Office. The client wants to:

1. Record calls (especially for incoming calls)
2. Record calls only on specific phone trunks and extensions rather than recording everyone's calls.
3. Be able to easily access the recordings in a user friendly format from a computer or a desk phone etc (whichever is possible)

Would a UC Module be enough to satisfy that request?

Question 3 is the key and the one on which you need to get more information.

- How long do they plan to keep any records?

- How long do they want to record (call length)?

- Are they happy accessing through a normal mailbox or do they want all recordings stored in a separate archive from normal messages.

The choice will come down to Voicemail Pro (which a UCM can do) or Voicemail Pro and Media Manager (with UCM can't do both so you would need a separate server to host).

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Corrected.... cheers

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

I'd go with Xima Chronicall all the way as it will do everything you want to do and they have excellent support.

Voicemail Pro on the UCM can do 1 and 2 but these appear in the same way as voicemail messages.

These would show in the voicemail message screen on the phone or softphone on a computer and there's an option to e-mail which may not be what you need.

Thanks for replying so quickly, I really appreciate this kind of help when you need some short notice answers.

So assuming the client needs to record the entire call regardless of the length, it would be wise to get both a UCM and a separate server device for storing the converted recordings? If that is the case, then here are a couple more questions and I should be good to go:

1. Will a regular desktop pc suffice to send the recordings to?
2. Beside the UCM and PC, what other licenses other than Preferred (I know the UCM provides this) would I need to get things going?

For Xima you would need a CTI license to establish the link between the IPO and Xima PC, and yes a regular desktop PC would work with probably at least a 1TB drive to store the recordings.

You haven't said what type of trunks the customer is using. If PRI then Xima will provide a VRTX box that the PRI loops through, and it connects to the PC with a USB connection.

If analog or SIP trunks then you will also need to increase the number of VM channels (more licenses) as these channels are how the recording gets from the IPO to the Xima PC.

The Xima website is an excellent resource and they will provide a 14 day trial license.

This will also depend on what release your system is. If you want to do the recording with VmPro you will need more than your 4 channels (most likely) to ensure that you still have some channels available to leave messages and that means licensing. Xima also needs the CTI license as of R10 or R11
This means that you can't do all you want by just plugging it in if you are on an older ADI licensed release of 9.1 and lower but on that release at least you can have Xima without the CTI license.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

I highly recommend the XIMA solution. Cradle to grave the search tool is fantastic and all your recordings are gathered on a single computer - server with an intuitive interface to search and listen your recordings.
if you have VM PRO it can get the VM PRO recordings too , if you have not VM PRO then it records directly from your PRI trunks via the VRTX.

Regards

Nikos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back