Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Queue for Front Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteeler

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
Hello,

We have an office where the front desk can take up to 6 calls before the next caller gets the greeting message (no voice mail box). Guess they have had issues where they can't answer the call in time and the caller get the message and then it hangs up.

I was wondering if there was a way to set up a call queue without buying anything additional? I thought I saw somewhere on here where it would transfer the caller and ask them if they would like to leave a message or be put on hold. That might work, but is there a way to set that up after the third call? I suppose I just change the amount of calls they can take at once to three, but I’m a little confused about the rest. Any help would be great. This is on 8.6. Thanks

I assume you have Unity. If so, your "message" could be a System Call Handler, which could easily be modified to allow users to press 1, 2, 3 etc for various options, using the Caller input table in the Call Handler. If not, deleting what you have and setting up the call handler is relatively easy to do.

Yes, it's Unity. Right now you get a message about biz hours, etc. with no option to leave a message if the front desk person doesn't answer the phone in time. What i would like to set up is if they can't get to the call it goes into a queue with some sort of message and the front desk person can retrieve the call somehow… without additional equipment. My thought is the first line on the phone (7965) can take up to 3 calls, then hunt to the next line on the phone which would keep the caller on hold with a message and then they could retrieve the call from line 2. There could be a line 3, 4, 5… but I’m not sure if this is at all doable. Thanks for the help.

Unless you have Contact Center youre not going to be to do a queue. You could always create a hunt group and do what you want without the message. Caller would just hear ringing. From my experience, people will stay on a line a long time listening to it ring before hanging up.

Depending on your version, I believe you can have up to 200 callers per line, though I certainly would not recommend doing that!

How about you have the third call hit a call handler that says "Your call is important to us. All of our agents are currently busy assisting other callers. To leave a message press 1 or remain on the line to be directed to the next available agent."

If the caller presses 1 they leave a message in the general mailbox.

If the caller remains on the line, in Unity you just send that caller back to Line 1 at the receptionist desk. Again if she doesn't answer or all lines are busy the customer hears the same message. This will simply cycle the caller through the receptionist over and over again and they are able to answer the call.

The customer is never put into a "queue", for that you would need Contact Center, but at least they know the call connected and they have an option to leave a message.

HTH,

Hank

The great use of life is to spend it for something that outlasts it. ~William James

I believe that call queuing is now built in to CUCM 9 - although I haven't yet tested it.

AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back