Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call PLSQL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sim133

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
Hi All,
Is it possible to call PL/SQL that takes a parameter which is one of column’s value in the report and use the return value as field in the report? I am trying to call the PLSQL in the report while simultaneously accessing a data from a table.
Thank you

PL/SQL is a programming language (Procedural Language/Structured Query Language), not a function, data source nor something that returns a value nor has a parameter.

Perhaps you mean link a value in some dataset to a Function, Stored Procedure or View, in which case you might be able to do any of these.

Try posting examples of what you intend to do rather than theoretical questions until you understand the products involved, also include your software version.

-k

Hi,

I guess you mean calling a PL/SQL function (returns one value)this is possible, I use it a lot in my reports. As synapsevampire says you have not given your CR version or database, but since PL/SQL is an Oracle language i guess you are using Oracle database.

You write the call to the function in an SQL Expression. This you can use in formula fields, directly in your report or in the Select Expert. You can not nest SQL Expressions (use one expression inside another).

The call is like this [package_name].function_name(parameter list)

You can aslo use stored procedures (can return many values), I think it will function almost as a table and that you add it in the database expert. Not sure if you can combine both tables and stored procedures.

Greta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back