Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Pilot- Setup Backup to Network Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlSwim

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2003
CA
this is the error message:
Unable to start backup operation. 41809#Remote disk device is not ready. The network path was not found.

Created hidden share on network server
Created Domain user with modify permissions on share
Created local user on Call pilot server with same name/same password and made a local admin
Mapped network drive on Callpilot server to the hidden share
Created a device format servername\share

Logged on using this new domain user and verify modify access to the network share
Gave 'everyone' write permissions on the share
---
this is the error message after i change the servername in the path to the IP address:
Unable to start backup operation. 41809#Remote disk device is not ready. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

any ideas?

Did you map the network drive to the Callpilot server?

Yes, Mapped network drive on Callpilot server to the hidden share

Hi MtlSwim,

I have had this problem a few times and I would suggest testing using a laptop connected to the ELAN. When I install Call Pilots I map my cd rom to Call Pilot and a folder I have with my Call Pilot Patches in it to help save time when installing it. If you put a PC on the elan with a static address and map a folder to Call Pilot you may find the backup works. If this works you know Call Pilot is having problems seeing your mapped drive/folder on the CLAN.

Cheers,

Scott

There is a file on the Application CD that you should run. It resets all permissions on the Call Pilot Server. I have used this file to fix AutoAdd and Network Back up issues. It's quick and if I remember, not service affecting.

If I can get a look in the AM I will let you know the file name.

It's a .bat file.

John

This is now working
Here are the steps:
Had to set up a PC(winXP) not on the domain
Create a share on this PC using 'simple file sharing' giving everyone full control. In this way, no password is required to connect.
Create the device on the call pilot service using the WinXP IP address instead of server name
ie \\IPaddress\sharename

I set up a scheduled batch file to move it to a file server to be backed up and delete the previous, but you could just backup on the XP machine, but you' ll need to delete the previous day's files manually (script) as file names change(date suffix).
notes:
Although the computer name resolves connecting from the call pilot machine, you receive an expliciit error message when the backup fails saying it could not find the network path. Using the IP address solves this.
I also tried creating a local user on the call pilot machine with matching user on the XP machine and permissions on the share, but even this does not work. Perhaps with later version of Callpilot you maybe be able to use this method. I am on version 4
Thanks !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back