Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Pilot dropped calls 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewaver

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2005
CA
I have a large Call Pilot system (8,500+ mailboxes) just cutover. We see random calls being dropped going to voice mail (~20/30,000 per day) and a SLEE Event 56004. Nortel says to put the 3 Mgate cards on the same shelf. Has anybody
1)seen a solution for this ?
2)put their Mgate cards in the same shelf ?
3) running ok with Mgate cards in different shelves ?
Thanks Folks.

put their Mgate cards in the same shelf I believe is required with 4.0

I would also get the latest PEP's & Hotfixes for your server

It's only dialtone-VZ

Late yesterday I received an update from our vendor & Nortel:
NTP 555-7101-1.01 Ver 1.12
It refers to putting all Mgate cards in the same IPE shelf.
(Be aware that even with satisfactory testing, confirmation that this problem is resolved can only be ascertained by going through your busy hour without calls dropped.)

I will post a follow up next week. Thanks.

We have experienced about 7 dropped calls so far this morning (96 ports, 36,000 vmail calls/day, which is about what we have been seeing for 2 weeks.
This is after following Nortel's advice to move the 3 Mgate cards into the same shelf.
We expect more failures when we hit the second traffic burst around 2:30pm today.

Friday, noon, Nov 17 - Since this a giant mail server Option 81 for about 8,500 users on Centrex, VPs at the Telco & Nortel are now involved in this one. Nortel engineers were on site yesterday to collect more info. This is coming to the end of the third week of dropped calls. Yesterday in 12 hours there were over 33,000 calls total. Stay tuned, esp. if you have a very large Call Pilot.

Are you using TAT,,,, you will need some special PEP's

We have mgates on separate IPE's

I was also told by Nortel to move the 3 mgate cards to the same shelf, the documentation for 4.0 does specify this when using the mpb-96 board. However it did not fix the problem, and I have many 4.0 callpilots with the mgate cards in different shelves that run perfect.
I will follow up when I find the solution.

grumpyone60...RCAP values are: ND2 MWI on the Dch.

a12ozbottle....too bad I didn't get your comments last Fri - because last weekend we moved those cards.

ghtrout: 1,585 logon sessions, 32 sec. avg length..13:00-14:00

Folks..I will be on vacation next week..checking in ...next update post from me will be Nov 27...if someone finds the solution - pls. post it - it may help others who end up in this ditch. Thanks.

watching the post, your pilot is twice the size fo mine. my mgates are all on the same shelf. i've never split one and i haven't had any cutoff's reported... i know nortel and your tech support have been there before me but i would wonder if i just had a bad mgate or maybe ports on an mgate.. i would check all my layer one again... in the past all of us have looked for patches or hardware when the trouble was something layer one.. just a faulty connection, or even a cable that is pinched

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Folks - back from holidays & good news - here is the solution:
This cutover contained dual language prompting(eg, Eng & Spanish or Eng & French dual prompts). Another site with lower traffic did not have this problem.

The dual language prompting PEP is CP404S02G37S. The fix is a Nortel designer patch DFD207S .

We have had no dropped calls since last Wed. morning.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Clarification:
PEP CP404S02L34S is the dual language prompting PEP.
PEP CP404S02G37S is for dropped calls.
PEP DFD207S finally fixed the problem.

What was the result of the "All Mgates in the same shelf" issue? Did you end up following that?...or do you have'em in different loops/shelves?

In my upcoming install, my preference was one in each Group for redundancy....but I ain't sure having seen the Nortel directive

[highlight #CCFFFF][/highlight]

GHTROUT My project crew has been installing all of our callpilots with the mgate cards spread throughout the switch. There have been no problems with them, but if you ever have to get support from Nortel and they find out that these cards are not installed in the same shelf they will make you move them before they proceed(at least that is what Nortel did to me).

GHTROUT: Colocating the Mgates did not solve the problem as per Nortel's advice. We still had the problem after doing that. The patch is the solution. Remember this is associated with the new CP dual language prompting feature - like old MMail - just available in September.

We are also using dual language prompting "beta" version since the GA version is still not available for the Call Pilot. We had the same problem with calls dropping and it was also solved by applying patches... Note that the Dual prompting is ONLY working for the Voice Mail part, as in the old Meridian Mail. The AUTO ATTENTANT dual prompting never worked in the Meridian Mail and will probably be available with CP 5,0.

Claude
McGill Univ. Health Centre

got it eweaver - thanks for the clarification. My CP system has yet to be installed - and I have no need for dual language....but your thread raised the issue of Nortel's design suggestion for card placement. I will only have 32 total ports, but requested two Mgates - 16 ports in each Network Group.

Have you seen the new 1005rp successor to the 1002tp? - Dec 12 planned availability...

GHTROUT.com | FAQs | Recent Replies

Final Words: As of Dec 1/06 the GA release for this problem with dual language prompting is still being planned. Nortel apparently has been requiring colocating all Mgate cards (a12ozbottle is correct on this) for a few months. This dual language prompting problem originated in the CP buffer memory beng overwritten. We are using 3 colocated Mgate cards - 96 ports - and a tower server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back