Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call pilot admin with XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsw155

Programmer
Sep 15, 2003
US
I run the Call pilot administration client on XP and since installing SP2 (I am the guinea pig), the call pilot admin client loads, but when I try to access or set up a mailbox I get error "Reverse RPC connection with admin server cannot be established"

Any ideas?

I have reinstalled the call pilot admin client software but no change.

Not an XP firewall issue because I switched that off as a test.

I am unwilling to remove SP2 since it does appear to be a necessary update, and I am the guinea pig for the company. Three of us run the client so it's not major at the moment.

The Nortel site doesn't appear to have any references to any problem and our telecoms company haven't seen this before either.

Thanks in advance from one confused user.

Norman

I am also having trouble with the same problem listed above - Any ideas? Somthing with XP?

I have an open case w/ Nortel on this. They sent me a new admin client, but that didn't fix it. He's researching it to confirm that the problem exists, but said that they aren't planning on upissuing the admin client anymore, so if it doesn't work, he actually told me I need to downgrade to 2000 or XP-SP1.

Kris G.

I haven't yet tried this myself yet, but here is my guess. I worked with networks and desktop support long before I started in phone systems so I have some background that could be helpful.

The security changes in SP2 disable many Windows Services that were enabled by default in all previous versions of Win XP and 2000. The RPC (remote procedure call) Service is a service that I'm pretty sure was turned off in XP SP2. Go into your Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services. Find the RPC service, it may actually be called Remote Procedure Call, and make sure it is enabled. If it's disabled, make it enabled and set it to automatically enable at startup as well.

No way RPC service is diabled, just about everything else depends on it. But you might be on the right track with something that's disabled by sp2 that can be manually reenabled.

David.

The RPC service was the exploit used by many of the major viruses over the last couple of years. On the server side, the RPC service is very important. However most people using their computers at home do not require the RPC service. I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure RPC was disabled by default in XP SP2. In an business environment, RPC on Windows XP would also be important which is why so much testing is needed by most companies before Microsoft starts forcing PCs to upgrade in 8 months or so. I'm at work right now and not able to do much research at this point. I will do some looking and post more when I get home later on today.

A quick search on Microsoft's site came up with the following article.

It looks like the RPC service isn't turned off, but there have been a lot of changes on the Client (Windows XP) side to enhance security. I'm not sure how the changes relate to Call Pilot, but maybe reversing some of the registry changes it mentions could be the trick.

Just out of curiousity, are you using the installable client, or the web based client?

I am using the installable client for version 1.07. For now we just have to pass around an old laptop running Win/95. That seems to work OK. I haven't tried reversing any changes. I don't really know where to start. I was hoping Northern would just have an updated client, or a patch.

Was anybody ever able to find a fix for this?

Only fix I know is to upgrade call pilot to 2.0 or higher

I have had this problem too and the only solution available was to uninstall SP2 temporarily or use a spare PC that was configured for Call Pilot only that did not have SP2. I do not believe that Nortel will support this issue now. If anyone has a fix I would like to also know!

Thanks the registry entry fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back