Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Pilot 100 only responds to a ping and no to IP address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canflyguy

Technical User
Jul 25, 2018
CA
I have a Call Pilot 100 that I changed to 192.168.1.90 figuring that I'd go on site and if that wasn't their IP range I would just change it again. I swear I could reach it here on my network to the 192.168.1.90. When I got onsite I found that they had a weird IP range, but when I tried connecting to the unit with a straight cord between my computer and the unit I got timed out. Yet, when I ping the 192.168.1.90 address I get a response? I did set the unit to 192.168.1.90 with 192.168.1.1 as the gateway. I had set my computer to 192.168.1.91 and my gateway as 192.168.1.90 still with no response. I even tried setting my computer to 192.168.1.1 figuring maybe there was some weird thing happening. Still no response. Makes no sense to me. I opened the unit to see if maybe the jack had broken pin or something, but I think that was the case with earlier units where the surface mount data jack was made of plastic and not very strong. No problem there, this one is a metal box on the board. I wondered if anyone knows what the micro reset button is on the main board of the Call Pilot? Wondered if it was some kind of factory reset button that likely would have to be pushed with power on etc. Let me know,
Thanks!!

Have you tried using a cross over Ethernet cable to connect from your laptop onto the Call Pilot 100 system?

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Agree, you need a cross-over cable only when going direct to the Callpilot

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I always use a straight cable to connect to cp. Try connecting to db9 and use putty or some other terminal app, reboot the cp and see what it shows the ip and subnet to be, I think you can even change the ip during this process it's been a while since I last did this. The settings are 1200 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit , no parity I believe.

Hello all.

In the end it turned out that since I also use this same computer to connect with BCMs, the cache in both this computer and the other one that I have was not allowing me to access the Call Pilot. I've since cleared out the cookies and now both machines work. Dah. With two machines giving me the same symptoms, it had me looking to something more complicated.

Thanks!

I am pretty sure I have not been able to connect with a straight through ethernet cable but it has been several years since I tried.

Can you guys double check your cable is for sure not a cross-over?

Even the manual states you must use one to connect direct.

Thanks for update!

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Well, I'm back again after going onsite with this unit and not being able to get into it to change the IP to their range. I swear I got into the unit a couple of days ago by resetting cookies on my computer or something like that. Now I can't get into it and I even switched to another Call Pilot and same thing, can't access the unit. I even tried when onsite, (so as to save myself having to return yet again), to make up a crossover cable to try and connect with the Call Pilot again with no success. The lights on the Call Pilot do indicate network connection with my computer whether I go direct cable or with the crossover (which I take is just making up a cable with 568A on one end and 568B on the other). So I guess my computer has autosense. Stumped??

You changed it to 192.168.1.90, but I wonder if it took?
Maybe it is back to default at 192.168.110.10?

Best to use the serial method phoneguy427 suggested.

-Male to Female straight through DB9 cable
or USB to Serial which may require installing software.

Open Putty and select the following:
--COM port # your serial uses
--Connection Type: Serial
--Saved Session Box type: "Callpilot 1xx"
--On the Left click "Window: and change the Lines of scrollback to 5000
--Click Session to go back then click Save
--Click Open

Reboot Callpilot and watch Putty window carefully, you will see press any key within 2 seconds to change settings.
or, you can just note the IP address you see, then go back to Windows browser and Network adapter to sort it out and re-connect.

You will see "system ready" at the end of the boot sequence.

If you want to save the sessions to log:
On the left click Logging under Session
--select Printable output
--in the Log File Name put in as an example C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\PuttyLog\&H-&Y-&M&D-Time&T.txt

This tail end part: &H-&Y-&M&D-Time&T.txt
Will give the file name a unique name which is the date and time.
So if you do not want it in Documents then you could just click browse to where you want it then add the above to the end.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Hi!

I am able to ping the unit at 192.168.1.90 with no issues. When I try to connect using chrome I get:
This site can’t be reached192.168.1.90 refused to connect.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

I can connect to the unit using Edge or Firefox. I'm going to switch back to the other unit to see if I get the same results or if it has a different issue.

Edit: I missed this part somehow and just wasted my time, stupid me in the morning: I can connect to the unit using Edge or Firefox
I guess there is nothing wrong with the PC or the CP then....check out the Chrome forum maybe.

Some things to try....

-Test your home made cable on a network or buy one, or an adapter
-Use http and not https
-Delete 192.168.190 from your browsing history
-Go to your network adapter ipv4 and make sure DSN servers are set to auto and not manual, no gateway and double check your is at 192.168.1.191 (or 192.168.110.11 if the CP is at default IP)

In Command Prompt or PowerShell (both as admin):
- Flush DNS
- Use arp -a and see if the 192.168.1.90 IP is there, if so then use arp -d 192.168.1.90
- Reboot PC

-REINSTALL Callpilot
-Upgrade Callpilot's to 3.1
Versions 31.10.36.22 for Nortel branding or 31.10.37.22 for Avaya branding, the only difference between the two is the branding.

-Check the RJ45 port for bad solder connection to the mobo by taking it apart or try this:
In command prompt or powershell - use ping -t IPADDRESS
Then while watching the command window, slightly with not too much pressure move the patch cord around (such as up down back forward) but hesitating between each spot and look to see if you get "no reply" on your command window.

-Take a baseball bat and .....

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks on that.

I'll try those suggestions on the 2nd system later tonight. The other system is all programmed and ready to go. The only thing I found, but it might be to do with something missing on my browser (and chances are the customer would never use it) is when I select group mailbox, it doesn't show me the members to add to the group. I can form the group but just not add members to it. I'm going to check it when I'm onsite later this morning.

Thanks again!
(from a fellow Toronto'er)

Myself, I've only ever connected to a CP100 using Internet Explorer. Do we know if the newer browsers can log into the CP100's?

Also, I may have missed it, but in your network topology, are you certain that .90 is your CP100, and not something assigned to a different device?

You could use a free program like NMAP and do a Ping scan on that IP address, which would return the manufacturer of the device to confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back