Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Join or Call Barge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbud

MIS
Jun 7, 2002
US
I need a feature that will allow a subscriber to join an existing call. It appears that I need to configure Call Barge. Can anyone tell me when this was added to Call Manager? Any suggestions for configuring it?

I know call barge is a feature of CCM 4.0 Our company really wanted this feature but the way Cisco does this isnt that practical. The users need to all have a shared line appearance, and they would Barge into that. It generally has to be the main line otherwise you may not be on the barge line when someone actually needs to join. Our solution for this was 1. Headset splitters 2. Turn the MOH off on call park/transfer and quickly add the person into a conference.

Barge was added, I believe, back in CCM version 3.3(2) (it may have been in 3.2, but we skipped that entire version and went from 3.1.4 to 3.3(2)).

In 3.3.X versions of CCM, setting up Barge was simply a matter of adding the Barge softkey to your current softkey template in use, and users who had shared lines on their phones would simply press the Barge softkey to join a current call.

That, however, has changed in 4.1.2 (4.0.X I have no idea, we also skipped that entire version because of the general bugginess). There's a little more work involved, but not much. You can now set a global enterprise parameter, in effect turning the Barge feature on for everyone, or you can set it individually per-device. The key thing to remember (and which threw me off) is that you must set the Privacy setting for every device that has a shared line, either on or off, no matter how you set up Barge. Privacy is kind of cool - it lets you have shared lines that can act like separate lines (can't barge in on a call or see details of an active call, but the phone will ring when the DN is dialed on all phones with that shared DN). Individual users, I believe, can't change the Privacy setting for themselves, can only be done through the CCMAdmin pages.

Anyway, you can read more about it in the Features and Services Guide for your specific version.

TMH

The join option was not added until v4 i think.

They call this a feature - can't think of who would want to use it though - still very important if you want to do it the 'cisco interoperability way'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back