Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call going to voicemail

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwesche

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2003
US
I have an 8th line that rings only to two extensions. Only these two phones have a line 8 button on them. All the other phones in the system use lines 1-7. When a call comes in to this 8th line, a receptionist picks up ok, but if she is still on the call and another call comes in on that 8th line, the call goes directly to her voicemail. I need that second incoming call to ring at her phone but at a lower ring tone. I know this works on our lines 1-7, which ring to a different receptionist. when the pilot line is busy, the calls rotate down the hunt group list but still ring to the same receptionist phone but at a lower ring tone. I need to accomplish the same thing on the 8th line but without a hunt group.

So, second call on 8th line tells me you must be using DID or E&M lines. Is that correct? If so, how many appearances of the target line do you have on the set, and what is the prime set for that line?

MarvO said it

Not sure. Keep in mind I am a network admin without phone system experience. this is my first crack at it.
All I can tell you is I have two LS/DS cards, Card one has line 1-4, card 2 has 31-34. no one uses line 34, which we named line08, except for two phone extensions that it automatically rings to. that part works fine. Only problem is that when she is using that line and a second call comes in to that same line it goes right to her voice mail. Come to think of it, it sounds like her call forward on busy goes to the voicemail extension. I think I'll check that out in the system programming of her terminal set extension. thanks

If it is only one line and it is busy? (not in hunt group)
You should get a busy signal from Telco, unless you have voicemail from Telco on that line.

Guess I'm confused. (My normal state) Now I understand the lines on your system, but how are you getting a second call in on the same loop start line besides call waiting?

MarvO said it

I was confused as well to her requests. Apparently she uses one of the other lines for outbound calls and if a call comes in on the 8th line directly to her, her extension was indicating busy because she was on the phone. she wanted that incoming call from line 8 to ring low to her phone while she was talking on one of the other lines. I took care of it by setting the "Forward on busy" to NONE. It was set to ring to the voicemail extension. I quickly realized the same thing you did about her actually using line 8 and another call coming in on line 8. She is aware the in that scenario the calls will go directly to voicemail. good thing is they will not ring busy to the caller. I thought she wanted even that scenario to ring on through, which is not going to happen. Thanks all for this discussion. It is helping me to better understand these Norstar systems had how to program what you want and their limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back