Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Fwd to Other Extension, Lv Msg at Other Extension 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparker001

Technical User
Oct 17, 2006
US
We have a person who will be on a leave of absence for the next few months. He will, however, be popping in the office from time to time, maybe once every few weeks. Senior Mgmt has asked that we forward his phone to another extension, so that messages can be left in that other extension. For instance, if Bob is the one on a Leave of Absence, we want Bob's calls to ring to Mike's desk, and the messages to cover to Mike's vm box. I tried doing this thru a coverage path but could not get it to work - the call always goes back to Bob's vm.

I know I could also do a route-to step thru vectoring, but since this person will pop in from time to time, I don't want to have to be doing and undoing vectors/vdn's on a moment's notice.

Is it possible to create a certain type of coverage path to make this work? If there is, I'm clueless! Any help would be appreciated - thanks so much.

The best way to do this is change the coverage path for Bob's station to go to Mike's. Then if you have Audix or Modular messaging enter Bob's extension number in the field as the secondary extension. I can only assume you have one of the above though.

Thanks Fondog2. So if Bob (the person going on Lv of Absence) is ext 1234, and Mike is ext 5678: then for the coverage path for Bob's extension, I would have 5678 as the first stop on the coverage path, and then h99 as the second and final stop. And when you say to enter Bob's extension number in the field as the secondary extension in Audix - this means I need to go into Mike's sub (cha sub 5678) and enter 1234 as the Secondary Extension. Is that correct? Just want to be sure. Both "Bob" and "Mike" are Senior Officers of the company, so I want to get it right the first time!! Thx.

I tried entering the Secondary Extension in Audix - the system gave me an error message that says "Duplicate Extension already in use". I need to keep both of these extensions active in the PBX and audix.

Why not just call forward to the other extension? The calls go over and any messages are left in the forward to extension mailbox.

I did try that initially - the call rings at the extension to which it is forwarded, but then goes back to the original voicemail box and the msg is left there. How can I avoid the call coming back to the original voicemail box? I did it using the "call-fwd" button (cha sta 1234) , and entering the other person's extension, 5678, there. Is there another way to do it where the call will not only forward to the other person's extension but also leave the message there?

Anybody have any other ideas, short of doing the VDN/Vector option (which will be a pain to do, considering this person may show up unexpected from time to time, and I'd have to undo the VDN/Vector and create a station in his office every time on the fly)? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks.

You can try forwarding that persons phone off-net. We have users who go on maternity leave and I have to forward their phones to someone else. I just forward the phone like I'm doing it to an outside number. As a matter of fact I let the users do it themselves and I don't even bother with it anymore.

feature access code + extension + 9 to get outside line + phone number.

Once the call leaves your phone system it won't have any choice but to terminate wherever you send it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back