Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call function without db prefix

Status
Not open for further replies.

kindred

Programmer
Feb 28, 2001
US
Is there a way to call a function without prefixing it with the database and/or owner name?

Example... fn_myfunction under the Sample Database

Currently I call it as followed...
Update mytable Set myfield = Sample.dbo.fn_myfunction(123)

I'd like to call it like this...
Update mytable Set myfield = fn_myfunction(123)

Thanks for the help,
Stephen

You need to specify the owner. The database is not needed unless you are calling if from another database.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

You don't need the prefix. The ONLY times the prefixes are needed is:

1. the owner is different, then you need to include the owner prefix

2. the database is different, then you need to include the database prefix (if the owner is the same you can use the double-dot notation - dbname..table)

3. the server is different, then you need to include the server prefix.

You are running the function in the same database as the query, you don't need the database prefix. Is the owner the same on both the database and the function? If so, you don't need that prefix.

-SQLBill

Bill, you are only correct if the function returns a table not a value. From BOL:
When calling a scalar user-defined function, you must supply at least a two-part name:

SELECT *, MyUser.MyScalarFunction()
FROM MyTable

Table-valued functions can be called by using a one-part name:

SELECT *
FROM MyTableFunction()

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

It's odd that you can't just call the function for a scalor return value. I would of thought the connection-string in Ole DB (or ODBC) would dictate the user for the calling function.

Just one of those quirky things. I imagine two differnt programmers built the two kinds of functions and didn't coordinate very well.

Thank you SQLSister for pointing that out...don't know how I missed it (I even looked through BOL before posting).

-SQLBill

I found this one out the hard way. Usually I use table functions. The first time I used a scalar function I spent hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back