Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Forwarding fails to long distance number

Status
Not open for further replies.

kghammond

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2006
US
We are unable to forward calls to a long distance number when dialing that extension from a external phone.

For example, if ext220 has a DID of 212-555-1111 and it is forwarded to a long distance number 478-422-3124, then if you dial the 212-555-1111 from an external number (333-466-7890), it forwards the call to the long distance number and the long distance carrier rejects the call because Altigen forwards the call using the original caller number as the callerID with a destination of the long distance number.

Since the long distance provider does not know how to bill the call back to 333-466-7890, it rejects the call.

After talking to our long distance provider and our local telephone provider, the long distance provider said we need to pass along a charge to number so they know how to bill it or they will bill it to the originating callerID number.

Is this a fault of Altigen for not passing this information? Can we get Altigen to pass this information, or is this a fault with our local PRI provider?

Thank you,
Kevin

After speaking to our local carrier, they are saying we need to setup ANI in the Altigen to pass the billing number via ANI to the local PRI provider.

How can we do this with Altigen?

Thank you,
Kevin

On the station that you're forwarding, you need a complete number (that belongs to you, your main number perhaps) in the "Transmitted CID" field.

We have tried that and it still passes along the originating CallerID information instead of the "Transmitted CID" field. We also tried the trick of forwarding the call from one extension to another extension to get the "Transmitted CID" to be used over the originating CallerID, but that doesn't work either.

Thank You for the suggestion though,
Kevin

What version of the OE are you using?

It's not the local provider's fault -- they're simply taking what you transmit to them and passing it along. In most cases, this would be a "feature", AltiGen's passing the calling party ID along. It's nice when someone transfers a call to my cell to know who's calling beforehand...

What you're describing, the caller-ID you send, is called "Screening" -- most LECs *say* they won't let you screen any numbers that don't belong to you. I've found you can screen any number you want on AT&T LD circuits (not qwest), but AT&T (the part that used to be Bellsouth) won't permit you to screen anything but those numbers assigned to your PRI... sooo... your mileage may vary. ALL of this I've said to say simply: Your LEC might restrict the numbers you're permitted to screen but I'm not sure you'd want them to -- it's definitely handy to be able to send anything you want.

Our in-house system is 5.0A Update 4 -- and it passes the "Transmitted CID" assigned to the station. So... more details please.. :-D

Interesting..I have several extensions that forward to outside numbers (both toll and toll free) when they are dialed from the outside. In the Enable Forward To section of Answering, we select: Outside Number, the access digit, then enter a 1, area code, phone number and two commas followed by the two digit long distance access code. The caller ID on the other end is always whoever called in, which is good as it prevents telemarketers from being a pest.

We are also using 5.0A Update 4. Our Altigen dealer has told us that in 5.1, the Alti-Mobile has been tweaked that you can specify a "Transmitted CID" for a Alti-Mobile extension. We believe that will resolve our "Screening" problem, but we have not tested that yet.

We currently are using a LD company Pioneer, that resells Global Crossing which ultimately ends up on Sprint's network (I believe). Our LEC is passing the "screened" calls to Global Crossing. Global Crossing is rejecting the calls.

We don't have any long distance access codes, but I wonder if we can get that added by our LD provider... I will have to check into that.

Thank You,
Kevin

Strange..... We're using 5.0A Update 4 and when I forward a phone the caller-id transmitted is that contained in the "Transmitted CID" field of the phone I'm forwarding...

-N.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back