Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

call forward to an outside# or cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seattleguy

Technical User
Jun 25, 2013
US
I am a Nortel tech. An Norstar M.I.C.S. customer recently relocated and changed carriers. They have a T-1 with no other pots or copper lines.
I was able to set up the CCR tree which all calls go directly to...... one of the options in the tree was to transfer calls to their headquarters in another state. It works fine.
Problem is now...... and they say it use to work is when the users call forward their Norstar desk phone it will not grab an outside line and transfer to their cell phones.
The difference being that when setting up the CCR tree for their headquarters it asked me what line to choose to go out, since its a T-1 i just selected line 10 and it works fine. But in the set forwarding you just put the cell # .... which i tried with a 9 and without the 9 hit the forward button to lock it in call their DID and the desk phone rings but will not grab a line to transfer outside. I believe it was dead air when trying to. I made sure line redirection says yes.
Do i have to build something in routing and dest codes?? I'm not that good in understanding those but have set them up before.
I tried adding 9 to pool codes and it wouldn't allow the "9"
I'm not sure what to do..... or why they said it worked before.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Confused sleepless tech in Seattle

Yes build a route to use the T1
Have the dest code use that route
Use the dest code before the number when using F4

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Sorry curlycord ive already lost u. I guess i just dont see / understand the dest codes and the route works.

What i have now that i left out ...... is that i can forward ext 222 to a cell phone #, then from 223 call 222 on the i/c and it goes straight to the cell phone.
But if the DID # to 222 is called from the outside it does not go through, the phone will ring at the desk if it is not forwarded but as soon as i forward it you get an error message from the carrier saying this number can not be completed as dialed.

It's already programmed actually.
9 is your Dest code and its told to use Route 000 or 001 most likely.
Route 000 or 001 it told to use T1

Maybe try making sure the Target lines prime set is the set you need to forward.
Could also be a carrier issue unless it works with others.

Explanation of Destination Codes and Routes

Routes are where calls point too such as PRI or Copper trunks etc and can include entering a phone number as well.

Dest codes tells the call which Route to use based on the digits entered such as 9
Absorb is the amount of the first digits entered that you dont want the carrier to see.
i.e Dest code of 9 would have Absorb 1 (or ALL of the Dest code)
1 would mean the first digit dialed (which is 9) will not be seen by the carrier.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Is this a standard T1 or a PRI? If it's a PRI then it's your carrier blocking the call that goes directly to the DID number. they see the original caller id of the calling party and know it's not part of your trunk group so the deny it.

Have you tried calling a forwarded phone from another extension. if it works the it is a line issue.

Yes coo1082 i call forwarded x222 to a cell phone then called it from x223 i watched the display and as it forwarded out to the cell phone it said line 023. And it worked perfectly. But it seems like when the target line for 222 is called its not grabbing an outside line to call the cell phone. I get a reorder error msg from the carrier saying this call can not be completed. If i do not forward the phone then the DID/target line incoming call to x222 rings fine.

It is because the number that is being sent out is not their BTN number so the call gets rejected. The CO needs to ignore your outbound CLID then it will go thru.

The carrier says its a pbx problem. typical right.

Here is what the Birch (c beyond) tech sent me claiming it is the Norstar programming. Is there any way the forwarding out bound has to be programmed in routes and dest codes? But what i do not understand is why a call to the main # to the menu tree option 6 goes to the Houston branch works perfectly. But a call to a DID rings the set but if the set is forwarded u get a reorder tone/message from the C.O.

Carrier response:
I want to confirm I understand the issue from your perspective in regards to the caller ID on forwarded calls. I have implemented the P Asserted ID on the IAD that will allow you to retain the calling party caller ID on forwarded calls , or mask the caller ID on any call you like. The problem as I see it now is your phone system is not even attempting to forward the calls on the test DID you advised I call 425-216-4xxx.
Birch sends your PBX the setup message

Here is what i sent him back:
1) the system and forwarding worked fine before the recent upgrade.
2) the main # 425-558-91xx works fine and has the ability to take an incoming call and transfer it outbound.
3) outside call calling the main number 9100 goes into a menu tree. Press 6 to the Houston office transfers outbound fine.
4) calling any of the DID's works fine if they are not forwarded.
5) calling a DID with that phone forwarded the call does not complete
6) 425-216-47xx is not forwarded,the call completes. 425-216-47xx is forwarded, the call does not complete..
7) it worked before the upgrade it should still work today. If something needs to be changed then we must know what that is.

It is a pri t-1

Here is another response from the carrier:

You are correct in your original assumption. I stated in my email I have implemented the P Asserted ID that will allow you to send whatever caller ID you would like. The problem is when I debug the test call I your PBX is not attempting to forward the call out. This is evident in the debug I presented you. Can you please just double check the forwarding settings?

Now that you said Cbeyond there is the answer. I had the same issue at a doctors office with forwarding there lines at night it worked until they switched to cbeyond. They could not get it to work until they switched to another provider.

I have to agree with cook, I had a customer oh about 8 years ago that changed to a new carrier (cable company) from Verizon. The carrier tried to tell us the same thing luckily the Verizon circuit was still up so to prove we could forward calls we just plugged back into them. Even after that the provider still said that we need to make a change on the MICS to work with them. Long story short they ended up staying with Verizon.

One way you can at least see if they're allowing any number is to set one of your extensions OLI setting to a number that does not belong to you. Then make a call from the phone and see if it completes. If not then you know the carrier is giving you false information about what they allow and or block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back