Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call forward bounces back to original ext VM if no answer? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguderian

IS-IT--Management
Sep 14, 2004
US
I have an IVS2 2000 with the AD-40 VM system. When someone leaves the company we forward their extension to someone else. However if that person doesnt answer the voice mail of the person who is no longer here answers. Ive tried within the VM system to do everything but eliminate the subscriber (Im not even sure this would work). I know I can assign "Go-To" another extension, but then it rings another 4 - 5 times before VM picks up.

Is there a way while forwarding an extension for it to go to the destination (forwarding recipient) extension VM #, rather than the original extension (forwarded extension)?

Im really struggling with this one.

How does everyone else handle extensions that need to be forwarded after someone leaves?

Thanks!

We have the same set-up. When someone leaves or is relocated we delete their mail box and build a new one for the new person. We delete messages first then subscriber. We call forward busy and no answer to vm #.

What about calls that are still going to the old extension?

The problem right now is that the # I am forwarding is a published phone #, so I cant remove it. If I delete that mailbox its still going to make it into the VM system, however it will go to the main greeting rather than the individual mailbox. I actually want these calls to go to the new extension, and leave VM's on the new extension.

Do you use the old ext.# for the new person ? If so,just delete and build new subscriber box.

This is a feature (and no I don't mean it's broke) of the NEC product line.

They way this is designed for use is:

User A is Call Forward All Calls to User B
User B is Call Forward All or No Answer to Voice Mail.

Now when a call comes in to User A, User B's phone rings. If User B's phone is not answered the call goes to Voice Mail and to User A's mailbox, NOT User B's mailbox.

To break it, Call Forward All Calls User A's phone to a virtual that is Call Forward No Answer to User B's phone. The incoming call rings at the virtual for the No Answer timer duration, then Forwards to User B. If User B dosen't answer then the call goes to Voice Mail and to User B's Mailbox.

The downside: The call has to ring throgh 2 No Answers timers.

A Solution to this is to Forward the virtual No Answer to Voice Mail. The Voice Mailbox would have a generic greeting stating "The person you are trying to reach is not available. Please stay on the line while you are transfered to the operator." Or something to that effect. set after greeting to "GOTO ID" to the operator or whever.

Victor

By the sounds of it you are talking about published DID numbers. Why don't you just use CM 76 and re-direct the DID to the new station and it will then go to that persons VM. Once you hire someone for that number just remove or change the DID conversion and it will again ring at the original station or go where ever else you assign it.

Mr VDG (Victor)you might want to check on what you stated about the forwarding.
The way NEC forwarding works is it will always carry the ID of the first station called to the final destination no matter where it forwards in between. You can easily test this with a couple of Dterms on a bench and looking at the display of the final destination. There was a software version back in 1800 series IVS where I believe this was not the case but it was corrected by Japan.
The only other way to get around this is to busy out the station in CM E5 and then place it in a pilot Hunt to the other station. This way no originating ID is carried to the VM just the ID of the station it actually rang. You must have, I believe, 1900 series IVS or higher for this to work. Previous to that version Hunting did carry the ID of the first station called.

Thanks everyone for your input.

@Pave - You are correct that these are DID's, and it is published, but its also an internal extension. If I use the CM 76 command, will this work when I dial the number internally?

For example if I dial 222-2345 this should go to 222-2346. Will it go to 2346 internally when I dial 2345 from my Dterm?

How does everyone else handle this situation? I cant imagine Im all that unique. I cant have people wait through 2 no answer timers to finally get a VM. That could equal upwards of 10 rings.

@VDG - I may have to use your suggestion regarding a generic message, and then use the GOTO function.

I would have thought there would be an easy way to accomodate these things.

Thanks again!

CM 76 will do what you want for the DID incoming calls from outside but as it is looking at a DID number received on a trunk it will not work for an internal call.
I've never had to worry that much about the internal calls as quite honestly most people internal are notified when a person has left the company. Maybe that part of the problem could be solved with improved communications between departments on personnel allocation and responsibilities?

@Pave35

You are correct, in fact its somewhat of moot point. Why would I care if internal calls go to the new person? I suppose I asked that question without first thinking about it. Thanks for the clarity.

Im going to use your suggestion, and make changes with CM 76.

I appreciate your help!

Why don't you delete the mailbox for your vacant extension and build a transaction mailbox? Tie the transaction mailbox to the mailbox of the user you want to retrieve the messages.

When you have a new user for this extension, delete the transaction mailbox and create a subscriber mailbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back