Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

call a frameset and decide what the main_frame html should be

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandravega

Programmer
Feb 10, 2004
AR
Hi everybody
I'm just curious about this:
I have an introductory page in flash. Then, I call the frameset where all the site is arranged, using a line like:

geturl("frameset.htm");

That loads the frameset with the default html page in the main frame.
Now I want to let the user choose the page he wants to see first in the main frame, so I figured out this: add a flash menu in the introductory page, each menu option with an action like this:

geturl("frameset.asp?wichpage=page1.htm");

and the "frameset.asp" page has the asp code to read the "wichpage" value and solve wich page to load at the main-frame.

My question is:
Is there a way around to avoid using asp (or php) in the frameset?

thank you all

Sandra

Is this a 2 frames frameset?
A top or left frame, in which you could have a Flash navigation movie, opening links in the main bottom or right frame?
If so, then from Flash buttons in your navigation frame, you can use getURL to load up any other html (and/or .swfs), in the main frame of your frameset.
Just target the exact same frame name, you gave your main frame when defining your frameset...
Thus if your main frame was named "main_frame"...
Code:
on(release){
    getURL("[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.google.com/",[/URL] "main_frame");
}

Hi oldnewbie.
Thanks for answering.
The problem is that the intro page is not "in" the general frameset.
So the first link must load the entire frameset and then load the html page for the main frame.
Thus, using geturl with the frame name doesn´t solves my question.
I tried using "geturl" twice (one to load the frameset itself an the other to load the main frame page). It looked like this:

geturl("frameset.htm");
geturl("page1.htm","main");

but it doesn´t work. The general frameset loads with its default main frame, (as the first script says) ignoring the second geturl command.

thanks

Sandra

So you would want that from a Flash button on the intro page, the user would be able to pre-select what page would open in the frameset's main frame? That's surely possible through javascript and/or appended url query strings on even with the new localConnection bit...
Would have to see your actual setup and files envolved...
What I'm wondering is what's in the other frame(s) of your frameset once it's opened?

Oldnewbie:
the frameset contains
1) some "margin" frames, filled with blank html pages, just to ensure the site will be displayed in the middle of the monitor no matter the resolution.
2) a top frame wich contains a simple flash menu that allows the user to navigate trough the pages in the main frame.
I know that I can send a url query string with the name of the page selected by the user, I wonder if I can avoid using asp (or php) to read the url query string. Well, maybe my question is just comming out from actionscript-flash boundaries. I don't know how to read an url query string using javascript or other language than the server-side ones like asp and php. I wonder if there is some action script-way to do that. If not, maybe I'd better ask in the javascript forum...
Well, now I think I've seen you in other forums so perhaps I'll meet you there...

Thank you Oldnewbie. A question out of topic: how do you manage to do your work and still answer questions in the forum? I'll be allways gratefull to you and all the other guys that clear out my doubts in this an other forums. I would like to answer myself to feedback the forum as well...

Bye

Sandra

You can read querystrings with javascript, but I think it would be far less painful to do it with ASP or PHP if your target environment supports it.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back