Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calibration of mouse in Gnome - (newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snookmz

Programmer
Apr 17, 2001
AU
Gday all

i have a problem with my mouse pointer in Redhat 7.1... Every now and again the graphic mouse pointer and the actual target zone dont match up.. so where the mouse apears to be doesn't line up with where the mouse pointer actually is..

i was wondering if there was a way to recalibrate the mouse every time this happens, rather than having to reboot..

If anyone has come accross this problem, or has a solution for me i'd be eternally greatfull :)

thanks in advance! /-------------------------------------
| I always have been, and
| always will be, a newbie :)
\-------------------------------------

Hi,

There's not much that gnome itself does with the mouse - its really a XFree86 thing.

You can run the command 'mouse-properties-capplet' from a console / xterm window or go into system, settings, peripherals, mouse . (same thing). Other than that it may just be that you have the wrong kind of mouse selected and that is the cause of the problem. Easiest is to open a xterm / console window then do :

$ su (enter root password as prompted)
# /usr/sbin/mouseconfig (select right mouse in gui screen - save & exit)
# exit
$

You could also run the command 'Xconfigurator' in the same way as 'mouseconfig' above but that would re-do all of your X settings.

Either way, you have to restart X for changes to take effect.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your help mate,

i will give it a go, and see if the problem crops up again..

thanks again :) /-------------------------------------
| I always have been, and
| always will be, a newbie :)
\-------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back