Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calendar Integration like Google Calendar & Provider for Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroLT

Programmer
Dec 16, 2002
CA
Hey all;

For anyone familiar with Provider for Thunderbird/Sunbird that allows integration with Google Calendar, you'll know what I'm asking.

I'm in the process of writing a web app to handle scheduling vacations, marking time off, sick days, leave of absence, etc, etc. Writing the code to create a standard ICS file for READ ONLY access via a desktop calendaring program is a no-brainer as I've already done code for that kind of thing in another project. But what I want to do is allow for updates to be done within a desktop calendar like Thunderbird/Sunbird similar to what Provider lets me do with Google Calendar. I've no idea where to begin, or even what exact software technology I need to start looking at.

Does anyone know of any non-commercial source code that I can plug into my Webserver (Preferably PHP or some extension), or even some documentation to begin this coding adventure? Heck, I'd even settle for key-words to enter into Google!

The host machine is a linux flavoured OS.

Thanks!

-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=
NEVER send the boss to do a techs job

Google: php ical library
Google: php icalendar

That should get you started. :)

----------------------------
"Will work for bandwidth" - Thinkgeek T-shirt

Thanks, but I think something missed somewhere, or I'm looking at a lot more work than what I expected.

The problem isn't the generating of the ICS file. The problem is trying to get any single change from the client to the servers DB. I don't want to have to keep transferring entire ICS files back and forth each time. Maybe for downloads, but basically the `central repository` is obviously on the server.

I took a look at the raw packet data being exchanged between Provider and Google Calendar during an update from client to server and, as I expected, transmits its data as XML for a single change event. I guess if I'm going to implement this particular `feature` I'm going to have to come up with several different methods for the three major email clients we use here that support Calendaring (Outlook/Thunderbird/Evolution).

I think this project is a back-burner project. heh

-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=
NEVER send the boss to do a techs job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back