Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculations with time and then cast to decimal

Status
Not open for further replies.

joacker

Programmer
Sep 26, 2008
AT
Hello,

i have the following statement:
SELECT AVG(ROUND(Datediff(ss,start,end)/3600),2))

i want to have the following output:
1,27 hours
2,19 hours
1,03 hours
0,28 hours
5,93 hours

As start and end variables are time datatypes i have to cast it to a decimal to get the desired output, don't i?

So i tried this:
SELECT AVG(ROUND(Cast(Datediff(ss,start,end)/3600 as decimal(15,2)),2))

But it doesn't deliver the desired output:
1,27154 hours
2,19081 hours
1,03333 hours
0,28000 hours
5,93413 hours

What am i doing wrong here?

Thx 4 any help

This is certainly a data type problem. I think the biggest problem you are having is with integer math. DateDiff returns an integer, and your 3600 is cast (auto-magically for you) as an integer.

[tt][blue]Datediff(ss,start,end)/3600[/blue][/tt]

From a data type perspective you have INT/INT which results in an integer. To fix this, you could cast one (or both) to a decimal before dividing. There is another trick you could use to force decimal division (instead of integer division).

[tt][blue]Datediff(ss,start,end)/3600[!].0[/!][/blue][/tt]

3600.0 will auto-magically be cast as a decimal(5,1). Then the rules for precision and scale come in to play so your result will likely be something like Decimal(10,6).

Then, I suggest you take the average first and then round or cast as a decimal to get your 2 digits of precision that you want.

I suggest you try this:

Code:
SELECT Cast(Avg(Datediff(ss,start,end)/3600.0) As Decimal(10,2))

Basically... force decimal division, then average the values, and finally cast as decimal.

Make sense?

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Code:
SELECT AVG(ROUND(Cast(Datediff(ss,start,end)/3600 as float),4))

Borislav Borissov
VFP9 SP2, SQL Server 2000/2005.

Thank you very much guys. I am always impressed by the great support here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back