Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculation/point system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary10k

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2001
US
Hello,
I have 3 fields in a table (field 1, field 2, field 3) which are all combo boxes with a value of yes, no & N/A.
I need to assign 1 point to each field if they are a "yes".

I would like to display the sum of all points for each row within a form. Where and how would I query for a "yes" and how would I assign 1 point to each row?

Thank you.

You can do this a couple of different ways. The first that comes to mind is to use IIF statements.
Code:
SELECT IIF([field 1]="yes",1,0)As One, IIF([field 2]="yes",1,0)As Two, IIF([field 3]="yes",1,0) As Three, One+Two+Three As Total FROM [i]tablename[/i];
mike

SELECT Abs(([field 1]="yes")+([field 2]="yes")+([field 3]="yes")) As Points

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Hello,
I actually changed the criteria of the fields. They are text boxes and when I type the following syntax it acts asks for the parameter. I would still like to search through the data and find the values I am looking for and count 1 point if the value is true. Is this possible to loop through the table wihout creating a parameter box?

SELECT EMPI AS Expr1, IIf(Visits="0",1,0) AS one, IIf(smkStatus_PR="SMOKING",1,0) AS two, one+two AS Total;

Recent versions of Ms. A, have a 'tripple state' check box (Yes; No; Null?) which would seem like a beter choice for the control / field for the exercise. If this were used, there is a "basRowSum" amidst these (Tek-Tips) fora which would seem to work nicely to return the total.

MichaelRed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back