Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating time using sum formula in access

Status
Not open for further replies.

oggsta

Technical User
Jun 22, 2002
GB
I am working in Access

And i would like to calculate the total number of hours in the feild [Time], the property is short time.

The formula i am using is as follows; =Sum([Time])

The problem is that once the calculation exceeds 24 hours it then reverts back to 0, for instance if the sum total was 26:00, the formula would display as 2:00.

Also i would like to calculate the total time where the feild date equals todays date, however not sure on the correct formula. The formula below does not work.

=Sum([Time]) and [date]=Date()

Thanks any advice appreciated.

Today()

Hi oggsta,

I'm going to go digging and see if I can find a FAQ on dates and times and if there isn't one I'm going to write one. But meanwhile ...

Date/Time datatypes are held internally as numbers of days and all built-in functions treat them as dates and times offset from a base (not as durations). When you format them as times only the fractional part is considered so you never see a time more than 23:59:59. Arithmetic on them generally works as you would expect but some care is needed with negative values.

There are several ways of formatting the internal values as times like "26:00", all of which involve manipulation of the internal format number. In your case, one way would be ..

Code:
=Int(CDbl(Sum([Date]))*24) & ":" & Format(Sum([Date]),"nn")

As for the second part of your post, where are you trying to do this? In a Query? Can you post a few more details please.

Enjoy,
Tony

Thanks for the reply sorry for the late reply i have been away;

The following formula works well
=Int(CDbl(Sum([Date]))*24) & ":" & Format(Sum([Date]),"nn")

As for the second part i did not even think of a query, i was thinking of a function statement as above.

If i were to use a query I want to select todays date and then claculate the sum of field [time] from teh query.

I guess the control would be (Queryname) Sum of [time]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back