Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating Task durations in real months

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwissBlood

IS-IT--Management
Nov 24, 2009
GB
Hi

I have a pan European project that I am trying to setup to enable me to change all dates based upon the SCD (Service Commencement Date)for each country. This date is always the 1st of the month and the contract milestones are always declared as SCD+xx (delivery on the 1st of the month). I am struggling with setting this up because I haven't yet found a way to calculate real months e.g. if SCD is Dec01 i want the deliverable of SCD+3 to be Mar01 and not Feb22 as Project gives me etc. I am using MS project 2007.

Can someone please help me understand how I can do this.

Thanks

It's not pretty.

1. Create a calendar called "1st of Month". In it the first working day of the month is a standard day; all other days of the month are exception days with no work.

2. Create all your tasks.

3. Create dummy tasks that you will schedule on the 1st of the month and set the Task Calendar field for those tasks to "1st of month".

4. Link those dummy tasks as predecessors to the real "1st of the month" tasks and change the link to S-to-S.

Note: your dummy 1st-of-the-month tasks cannot be set up as milestones.

As I said: it's not pretty.

I've been playing with this and, you're right its not pretty, but i've been able to get it to do exactly what I want so I can live with the pain of seeting up the custom calendar.

Thank you for your help. really useful

Glad it worked out. If you made any non-trivial changes to the process above, please mention them here ... I'd like to learn about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back