Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating Percentile Values

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirskeezy

Technical User
May 23, 2012
CA
Hi,

I've been searching up how to calculate percentile values all day and I still do not seem to be able to get the values that I want. Can someone please help me?

Heres the overview of my situation:

I have a table called Raw Data and it holds fields including 'operating costs' and 'property size'

The percentile value that I want is the 95th and 5th percentile value of 'operating costs/property size'

First step I did was to create a query called 'STEP 1:FACTOR VARIABLES' that calculates 'operating costs/property size'

Second step I made another query that would use my query 'STEP 1:FACTOR VARIABLES' and tried calculating my 5th percentile with the sql code
SELECT Max([Operating Costs/Property Size]) AS [5th percentile Operating Costs/Property]
FROM (SELECT TOP 95 PERCENT [Operating Costs/Property Size] FROM [STEP 1: FACTOR VARIABLES])
ORDER BY Max([Operating Costs/Property Size]);

I thought that this would get the value that I need but all it does is grab the largest 95% of values and then get the max of it, which is basically just the max value itself....

Would I be able to get what I want using SQL or do I have to do some VBA coding?

I changed all my names to have no spacing and no special characters. My SQL is now working but is there a way to exclude null values in my SQL code? Right now I have my SQL looking like

SELECT Max(STEP2_FactorVariables.MaintenanceCostsPerSF) AS MaxOfMaintenanceCostsPerSF, FROM STEP2_FactorVariables
WHERE (((STEP2_FactorVariables.OperatingCostsPerSF) In (SELECT TOP 5 PERCENT [OperatingCostsPerSF] FROM [STEP2_FactorVariables] ORDER BY [OperatingCostsPerSF] ASC));

That is not a correct formulation for a percentile. If N is even you will have to weight n and n+1. I have shown two correct formulations.

Any chance you can post a table with data. It could be an excel file or text file. Does not have to be a database. Just post the necessary fields. At a minimum operating costs and property size.

I think I gave up on the SQL route..

I am trying to calculate percentile values by using your VBA code:

Public Function DPercentileExcel(expr As String, domain As String, Percentile As Double) As Variant
Dim strSQL As String
Dim N As Integer
Dim nSubk As Double
Dim vSubk As Variant
Dim vSubkPlus1 As Variant
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

strSQL = "SELECT " & expr & " FROM " & domain
strSQL = strSQL & " WHERE NOT " & expr & " IS NULL ORDER BY " & expr
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset)

If Not (rs.EOF And rs.BOF) Then
rs.MoveLast
rs.MoveFirst
Else
Exit Function
End If

N = rs.RecordCount

nSubk = Percentile / 100 * (N - 1) + 1
'using NIST nSubK = Percentile / 100 * (N+1)

If nSubk = 1 Then
DPercentileExcel = rs.Fields(expr)
ElseIf nSubk = N Then
rs.MoveLast
DPercentileExcel = rs.Fields(expr)
Else
rs.AbsolutePosition = nSubk - 1 '0 based
vSubk = rs.Fields(expr)
rs.AbsolutePosition = nSubk '0 based
vSubkPlus1 = rs.Fields(expr)
'Debug.Print nSubk
'Debug.Print vSubk
'Debug.Print vSubkPlus1
DPercentileExcel = vSubk + (nSubk - Int(nSubk)) * (vSubkPlus1 - vSubk)
End If
End Function

Public Sub testPercentileExcel()
Debug.Print DPercentileExcel("operatingcostspersf", "step1_operatingcostspersf", 0)
End Sub

When I try to use this function in my query, it says that DPercentileExcel is an undefined function in the expression...

My SQL looks like this:

SELECT Percentiles.percentile, DPercentileExcel("operatingcostsperSF","step1_operatingcostspersf",[percentile]) AS percentileoperatingcostspersf
FROM Percentiles;

O and btw when I try to save the module name from the 'Module 5' that it automatically gave to a new name, it says file not found. Does this mean anything??

Is the function in a standard module? It cannot be in a form's for report's module.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back