Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating no. of days between dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayee

Technical User
May 27, 2004
GB
Hi,

I would like to know the formulae for creating for calculating the number of calendar days between two dates which are stored in my database - ie. next service date - current date = x number of days.

As well as creating a result (for displaying on the "Servicing" form), I would like to use that "number of days" as criteria for reports so that I can print off a report showing vehicles which are due for service within the next, say 30 days.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Jay

And what about simply this (if really current date)?
[next service date] - Date()
Or this (if two dates which are stored) ?
[next service date] - [current date]

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

You need to use the DateDiff function, something like this:

ElapsedDays= DateDiff("y", [CurrentDate ], [NextServiceDate])

Hope this helps!

The Missinglinq

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Hi,

Thanks.

I've tried both of your suggestions and am still getting a "#Name?" error message.

My current date field is currently only on a table, as I only use it for calculation purposes, and I can't see any need to store it in a table. It is called "Current date" and the control source is =Now().

My next service date field is stored against each vehicle's record in the datebase and is called "Next service date" and is a date/time field which is working fine.

Can you help me further ?

Regards,
Jay

Hi,

I've just realised I need another date calculation formulae in my datebase which I'm not sure how to do.

I think it would be good if my "next service date" was a calculated field too, as it is always 1 year on from "last service date" and that'd save me typing it in each time and reduce the risk of errors.

I would, however, want the field result stored within the database, unlike my "in x days" field which is only used for calculation.

How do I do this ?

Regards,
Jay

Have a look at the DateAdd function.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Off the top of my head, I think the #name error is because Access can't find one of field names.

Try modifying the syntax 'missingling' supplied, replacing the tablenames and fieldnames as appropriate.

Code:
ElapsedDays= DateDiff("y", [tablename]![CurrentDate ], [tablename]![NextServiceDate])

tct1954

or try:

QtyDays: DateDiff("d", [OrderDate], [ServiceDate])

should give you the answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back