Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating bandwidth-usage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Hello

I got a couple 1751's in my PPP Frame Relay WAN and I'm kind of wondering how I can caluclate the bandwidth that is being used..

When I do a "Show interface serial0/0" it paints this:

30 second input rate 187000 bits/sec, 105 packets/sec
30 second output rate 28000 bits/sec, 95 packets/sec
44647208 packets input, 1896882112 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
24 input errors, 3 CRC, 10 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 11 abort
37299367 packets output, 1500460069 bytes, 0 underruns

If I wanna find out exactly how much bandwidth is being used do I ADD the Input & Output together to get that?? Or would I just use the input line???

ha ha.. actually, this is only a 128k link, so you can see why i'm getting worried about bandwidth!!

Thanks..
snooter

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..
then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

"I should of been a doctor.." Me

Thanks...i guess.. I've never seen something so unbelievably complicating..

pardon my last message, I was going about it all wrong! I've got that up and running, it's collecting data every 5 minutes.. do you recomend I change anything??? I've never seen this before so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing..

Thanks!

hey westmanm, one more question..

In those logs.. Can you tell me how if justifies the "Max Speed" of a sub interface? Or any face for that matter? Does it look at a configuration on the interface or does it calculate some kind of timed response?

I'm just kind of curious, cause I got one serial sub interface that should be at least 64k and it's showing up as "MaxSpeed -- 16k" not good..

help?

I was using mrtg it is great. The author of mrtg wrote RRDTOOL that nmis uses. Take a look. it is awsome. Graphs my routers, switches, CPU, Routing, Memory,Buffers, ETC with almost no programing knowledge.

PS: my boss loves the clickable graphs. She can go back two weeks and see a 5 minute ave.

snootalope,
It looks at the interface when you do the config builder. That speed is correct, remember it works in Bytes not Bits. For instance my T1 is listed at 192k/Bytes per second. And no, unless you want to monitor something else I'd leave everything like you've got it.

-Mike

Jabba.. that looks nice but this mrtg thing is pretty nice as well.. besides, i couldnt get the rrd to work on XP..

thanks guys.. I'm gonna keep looking for these free network graphers though!! Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back