Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating an AVG Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpye

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
CA
Before I start I should mention that I am only new to ASP scripts so I appologize if this seems like a simple question.

The site I am working with is a survey page where users can answer 1-5 for any of the 34 questions. The answers are then written back to an Access databse. This part works fine.

What I want to do now is calculate an AVG score for each question. I think I can use recordcount ot get the number of records but I'm not sure where to go from there. Does anyone have any suggetions on how I can accomplish this.

Thanks

try, in your sql

Code:
SELECT AVG(answer) FROM test WHERE question=1

You can accomplish this with SQL and have the database do the hard work.

What is your table structure? Do you have a big table with one field for each question where each row represents an individual complete survey?

is each question its own field in the database? like
Code:
Question1 | Question2 | Question 3
    2     |     1     |     5
    4     |     2     |     4
    3     |     2     |     4
    3     |     3     |     3
    1     |     5     |     5
    5     |     4     |     2

If so, then just write an sql statement that averages the questions you want to display:
Code:
strsql = "select avg(Question1) from tblname group by Question1"

Or something similar anyway.

man you guys are quick...looks like i should spend less time drawing cute little tables and more time answering the question.

Are you calculating the AVG for all the questions? I would do that directly in the database. Set up a totals query and get your averages, and then post those values back to your page. Unless I misunderstanding something.

Paul

The exact answer will depend on the table structure but I think your answer is more explanitory... the pictures do help.

ethorn10, there wasn't a response when I started my reply, and I'm further down the line than you.
Sheesh!!

Paul

Thanks for all the quick responses...I've been in meetings all day so I didn't check my mail until this evening. To answer Ethorn10 question, yes the tables is laid out as he displayed with fields of q1, q2 q3 etc. I will try your suggestions tomorrwo morning and let you know how it works out.

I was also thinking about having Access do the work, like was mentioned here, I just wasn't sure how to bring the results of the Query into the webpage.

You would just open a recordset and display the data on the page something like this (this is just a portion of code I use so watch for missing syntax)

Code:
<%WHILE NOT rst.EOF %>

<% 	

FOR i = 0 to rst.fields.count-1

%>
		<p>

<%
		If i = 0 Then
		%><h2><%
		Response.Write Replace("<label><font size = 4 font color = #FF3300> '" & rst(i).Name & "':</label></font><font size = 4 font color = #0000CC> '" & rst(i) & "'</font>","'","")%></h2><%
		Else
		Response.Write Replace("<label><font size = 3> '" & rst(i).Name & "':</label><font color = #0000CC> '" & rst(i) & "'</font>","'","")
		End If
		'Response.Write "<td align=center valign=top bgcolor='#FFFFE5'>" & rst(i)& "</td>"
		NEXT 
		rst.MoveNext
	WEND

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back