Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating a value based on a text field

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDugan

Technical User
Oct 12, 2012
US
Hi,

I have a userform in excel with a field called txtBenefitAmt. As part of my code, I have excel launch a word document and populate information given to me in the excel userform. The word document does not have a userform but I have txt boxes on the doc itself.

However, in certain instances I need to take the value input in txtBenefitAmt and manipulate it before inputting the info in the word document. Anything I have tried has not worked.

An example:
User inputs 300 in txtBenefitAmt field in excel. In one scenario of my code, I need to take half of that 300 and input that in the word doc field.

I have tried several things but one of them being:
wdDoc.txtJandSamt.Text = frmRLRP.txtBenefitAmt.Text / 2

It works fine when I don't try to manipulate the txtBenefitAmt value.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Thank you.

So what happens when you DO try to manipulate the txtBenefitAmt value?
Do you get any errors? Does it blow up?

I would be tempted to do:
[tt]
wdDoc.txtJandSamt.Text = Val(frmRLRP.txtBenefitAmt.Text) / 2[/tt]

Have fun.

---- Andy

The content of the .Text property of a Text box is of the Text data type.

You can't do math with text.

If you have text that looks like a number then you need to Coerce it to an appropriate numeric data type.

Andy,

Your suggestion of "wdDoc.txtJandSamt.Text = Val(frmRLRP.txtBenefitAmt.Text) / 2" did the trick. Thank you very much.

I'd like to ask another question though.

Since I am dealing with dollar figures, I need it to round the result to 2 decimal places.

Currently, if txtBenefitAmt is 346.75...it sets txtJandSamt to 173.375. Is there a way to get it to round to 173.38?

I appreciate your help!!!

Teresa

How about:

Code:
Dim curMyMoney As Currency

curMyMoney = 346.75 / 2

MsgBox [blue]Round([/blue]curMyMoney[blue], 2)[/blue]

Have fun.

---- Andy

Either:
wdDoc.txtJandSamt.Text = Round'Val(frmRLRP.txtBenefitAmt.Text) / 2, 2)
or:
wdDoc.txtJandSamt.Text = Format(Val(frmRLRP.txtBenefitAmt.Text) / 2, "#0.00")

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

PHV,
Thank you! Both of your options worked. I liked option 2 better because it forced the decimal places to display in the word doc.

I really appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back