Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating a sum or running total of string data 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumgait

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
CA
I have created a crystal report that is grouped by a specific request type:

1. General Information

2. Personal Information

3. 3rd. Party Information

One of my columns of information in each group is "Status". The status can either be:

- complete
- in progress

I am trying to summarize the total number of completes and in progress for each of my groups.

For example in group 1 - General Information, the total number of records for that group is 10. 9 records are in progress and 1 is complete. This one is easy. Some of the groups have several hundred records.

I am trying to figure out how to create a summary field, formula, or running total that would allow me to display the Total Number of completes or Total number of in progress records for each group as a summary field.

Can anyone start me off.

Thanks

John Falloon

Create a formula containing:

if {table.status} = "complete" then
else

Then another for

if {table.status} = "in progress" then
else

Drop the fields into the details section and select insert summary->sum and choose the appropriate group in which to insert the summary.

In CR 8/8.5 you can select insert summary for all groups and a grand total at the same time.

You can now delete the formulas from the details section and still get the summaries.

-k

click on insert summary, it will then ask you to choose the fields to summarize. If a read correct it will be (2) groups " Progress" and "Completed", then select count. It will then ask you where to place the summary.
Once again choose the two fields above. Then click okay.

Hopes this helps

I'm doing something similiar for an audit. I'm getting caught on passing last month's tickets that are still open into the next month's data. My report is grouped by month of tickets opendate. I thought I'd be able to accomplish this with a running total of the <> "complete", but I'm not getting the right results. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all of the folks who responded to this request. I have been able to add the suggested code to a formula on my form and it works beautifully.

Thanks again.

John Falloon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back