Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculated field on a Form into a Table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdlewis

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
US
I have a field that is the end results of several calculations. The form has 30 or so inputs, then does non-visible calculations and returns a value. I want to write this value into the originating table. I tried the technique I found in a simiar request to this on of setting the default value on another field, but the field remains blank. Is there another way to do this?

On click (or another event).

Dim DBS as database
Dim rst as recordset
Dim strVar as string
Set DBS = currentDB
Set rst = dbs.openrecordset("YourTable")
strVar = me.yourcalculatedfieldorvariable
With recordset
.fields("YourField") = strVar
.update
End With
Set dbs = nothing
Set rst = nothing

However, it is not good normalization practice to store a calculated variable..... Tyrone Lumley
augerinn@gte.net

I can't get the coding to work, but I'm open to not puting the calculated field in the table. My understanding is to shoe it in a query, but how do I go about doing that? As far as I can tell, I can only use fields from another table or query in a query.

dbguy is write on but it may not work in Access 2000. Because of libraries.
Try this. If MS Office 2000

On click (or another event).
'_____________________code start_______________________

Dim rst as object: Set rst = currentdb.openrecordset ("YourTable")

Dim strVar as string: strVar = me.yourcalculatedfieldorvariable

With rst
.addnew ' this adds a new record dbguy missed this
!"YourField" = strVar '(example: !calc = strVar)
.update 'this updates the new record
End With

Set rst = nothing
'_____________________code end________________________

'If you still have problems with this look up DAO in the help files.

Let me try to define the problem better. The user enters several numbers (radius lengths)and gets returned a 'high point' value. The calculations are really just vector addition. So, I end up with a degree value, I'm calling it FinalDeg, that says how many degrees from the start point the high point is. All the calculations are hidden, and the end result is shown. I also want to keep record of this end result for future reference. It need not be part of the table (that field called Final Angle)if I can make it show up elsewhere in a query or other display. As far as the code goes, I have been using exactly what you have been writing, substituting my field names. Thank you for bearing with me.

dear sdlewis,

calculating in a query could be done like this (very simple one)
having to number field a and b

select a + b as sum from sourcetable

having two strings c and d

select a & " is concatenated with " & d as coolthing from sourcetable

have a look into the acces/sql forum on this site, you will find a lot of really cool things that can be done with queries

regards astrid

This is the code I'm using to try to write the data to the table:

Private Sub Text412_Click()
Dim rst As Object: Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(tblLongShaftFront)

Dim strVar As String: strVar = Me.FinalDeg

With rst
.AddNew
!FinalAngle = strVar
.Update
End With

Set rst = Nothing
End Sub

FinalDeg is my calculated value, FinalAngle is the field name in the table, tblLongShaftFront is the table. Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back