Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calculate the exact number of working days in the last fullmonth 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginkoba

Technical User
Jan 29, 2009
I'm using the below formula to derive the exact number of working days(-sat, sun) for the last full month. For some reason, each month, I have to manually adjust for 1 or a couple of days depending if the month has 30 or 31 days. I thought my formula was doing this automatically but some how, its not. Can someone please take a look and let me know.

NumberVar v_monthvalue;
if month(currentdate) in [4,6,9,11]
then v_monthvalue := 32
else if month(currentdate) = 2
then v_monthvalue := 28
else v_monthvalue := 29;
Local DateTimeVar d1 := CurrentDate-v_monthvalue;
Local DateTimeVar d2 := CurrentDate;
DateDiff ("d", d1, d2) -
DateDiff ("ww", d1, d2, crSaturday) -
DateDiff ("ww", d1, d2, crSunday)

Thanks Ian. I'm aware of that formula but in my case, there are no prompts/parameters dates to count in between. I'm using the lastfullmonth. The thing is, I want this report to run every 5th or whatever of the month for the lastfullmonth without me putting in the parameters. So if today is August 16th, I want it to run for July 1 thru Jul 31st without me having to put in the starting and ending dates.

ginkoba,

Having not looked at the formula to which Ian speaks, could you substitute the Parameters with a pair of formula fields for Minimum & Maximum Dates?

{@Last Month}
DateAdd("m",-1,CurrentDate)

{@StartLastMonth}
Date(Year({@LastMonth}),Month({@LastMonth}),1)

{@EndLastMonth}
Date(Year(CurrentDate),Month(CurrentDate),1)-1

Hope this helps!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------------------
EvE Online: Claim the Destiny that is Rightfully Yours...

Thanks much Mike. I was able to modify Ken's formula along with a modified version of your formula producing the following: I did not include the holidays since I don't require them here just yet. You will note that I replaced "-1" with "-2" in the last line before "weeks + days" in order to get 5 working days.

WhileReadingRecords;
Local DateVar Start := {@StartLastMonth};
Local DateVar End := {@EndLastMonth};
Local NumberVar Weeks;
Local NumberVar Days;

Weeks:= (Truncate (End - dayofWeek(End) + 1
- (Start - dayofWeek(Start) + 1)) /7 ) * 5;
Days := DayOfWeek(End) - DayOfWeek(Start) + 1 +
(if DayOfWeek(Start) = 1 then -1 else 0) +
(if DayOfWeek(End) = 7 then -2 else 0);

Weeks + Days

Status