Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calculate days until today 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

karibai

Programmer
Nov 24, 2005
DE
Hello,
i'm a newbie with webfocus. The second report, I shall write, has to calculate with date. I have a field that contains a beginning date with timestamp. The format is A19. It looks like 2004-07-27-07.25.15.416780. I have to count the days from beginning date until "today". I don't know, how much reports I started without getting the right solution! Can you help me, please?
Thanks
Karin

Here's an example of how to do it. First, strip out the 'date' from the date-time stamp, using the EDIT function, then, use the YMD function, which calculates the difference between two legacy dates, in [Y]YMD format. To automatically insert today's date, use &YYMD.

If you're dealing with 'smart' dates, you can just subtract two dates to get the difference.

As an aside, the string you gave was 26 characters long; it won't fit into an A19.

Code:
DEFINE FILE CAR
-* the next line is just to get the value into a field
XDT/A26='2004-07-27-07.25.15.416780';
ADT/A8YYMD=EDIT(XDT,'9999$99$99');
DATEDIFF/I6 = YMD(ADT,'&YYMD');
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT XDT ADT DATEDIFF
WHERE COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND'
END

Hi focwizard,