Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calcualtion problem on migration to V7 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizzyb

Programmer
Aug 10, 2001
GB
I have just updated by catalog from Version 6 to version 7 MR2.
A couple of my reports will no longer run. I have identified the problem as a calculated field.
This calculated field determines the financial period relevent to a transaction (the catlog is over expense claims) so the calculation goes along the lines of:

If date between 2002-12-30 and 2003-01-30 then 1 else if date between 2003-01-31 and 2003-02-27 then 2 else if....

and so on. There is currently about 2 years worth of this so about 24 different selections.

In version 6 this ran fine, not particularly slow. In version 7 the fish does not even start to swim, the hour-glass comes up and stays there. To cancel it I have to go into task manager and 'end task' from here I have seen that my CPU by this point is upto 100%.

If I reduce the calculation down to a few selections it runs ok, hence I can tell it's this that is causing the problem.

I have tried changing the syntax to <'s and >'s but this makes no difference.

Please help!

liz

Liz,
What DB are you reporting against? If it's Oracle, then the problem is probably in the IF THEN ELSE arguments being converted to DECODE. Save your report as SQL to inspect (altho', if this is the problem, it may take a while to generate!)
Take a back-up copy of the cogdmor.ini file first and then change the relevant &quot;Case_To_Decode=T&quot; to &quot;Case_To_Decode=F&quot; under headers[Exceptions General ORACLE *.*] (*.* being version no.s) and try with that.
HTH,
lex

BRILLIANT!

Yes I am using Oracle and changing the Cogdmor file seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks very much.
Out of interest, what does this setting do?

I think it determines whether Impromptu IF THEN ELSE is parsed as DECODE or CASE for the DB interrogation. In your case (pun intended), CASE was required.
Glad I could help,
lex

Hello,
Did you resolve this?
I had a problem with oracle 8.1 and did the following change:

filename: Cogdmor.ini file.

Change: [Exceptions General Oracle 8.1]
Case_to_decode=f

However now I'm at version 9.2 and there is no section for Oracle 9.2 (i.e. missing section [expections general oracle 9.2]). Is there another solution? Can I enter this in manually????

...Chargrams

Yes, you can add sections. I had to add them for Oracle 9.1 & for 9.2. In addition to the statements referred to above, I had to also these "Exceptions Value Expressions" lines, because their absence messed something up (sorry, don't remember what)

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE9.0]
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Trim=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE9.1]
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Trim=F

[Exceptions Value Expressions ORACLE9.2]
Case=F
Case_Searched=F
Trim=F

Hi Cindy,

Thank you very much. You answered my other request because I actually replied to this thread, thinking I was posting a new one.

Can you provide me with the exact modifications to the cogdmor for the Case_to_decode = F. I changed it for Oracle 8.1 and it worked, becasue cognos had the Oracle 8.1 section already there. It doesn't exist for 9.2.

thanks a bunch...

...Chargrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back