Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cakewalk/Roland/Audiophile Midi Playback Conundrum 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefiend

Technical User
Feb 29, 2004
US
Please help if you can! I have been on this for days now. I have a Roland xv-88 -- midi in & out to Midiman 2x2 (A), Audio in/out thru Behringer mixer, then:::::: in-out B on Midiman 2x2 TO M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE SOUND CARD....So far, so good, but, when I use Cakewalk, even though I downloaded all the XV-88 instrument files, and set up the tracks as Midi 1, 2 etc. only can play back 1 midi track at a time and it has to be set to the Roland Channel setting at the time (1,2,.etc...) -- i.e. if the Roland is on Channel 1, then I hear channel 1, etc. Cannot playback a channel 2 track at all -- I used to be able to do this effortlessly when I had my rotten Sound Blaster Audigy card, but, now that I upgraded to pro stuff -- doesn't work --

Little more info please...the Roland, is that an external sound module? Does it have the timbrality for all these sounds? Does it have a midi channel per voice?

Also the midiman 2x2, is that just a midi interface or does it do audio too. If it does audio why are you putting an output back into the Audiophile? Can you make it a little clearer what ur doing please

OK, I checked the specs of the cards and I'm confused why you're running the midiman 2x2 when you have midi i/o on the Audiophile? Try disconnecting the midiman 2x2 and just run the roland off of the Audiophile. You shouldn't need to route the midi from the roland to the midi interface then into the soundcard, in fact this could be the root of your problems

Hi - a BIG HUGE THANKS!! to both of you!! I REALLY appreciater the help!! It is VERY possible I have something hooked up incorrectly, as I am not by any stretch of the imagination a sound engineer - Here goes:

ROLAND XV-88 - AUDIO OUT TO BEHRINGER MIXER LINE 1 IN
MIDI IN/OUT TO MIDIMAN 2/2 IN/OUT A

BEHRINGER MIXER - TAPE IN/OUTS (X2) TO RCA IN/OUTS

AUDIOPHILE

MIDIMAN IN/OUT MIDIS (B) TO AUDIOPHILE IN/OUT MIDI EXTENDER

EVENT SPEAKERS TO MAIN IN/OUTS ON BEHRINGER

AUDIOPHILE EXTRA RCAS (I THINK SPDIF) IN/OUT TO ROLAND OUTPUT B (Because they were there - don't know if this is a necessary step at all??)

DELTA PATCHBAY SET TO: H/W IN/OUT 1/2 = WAVOUT 1/2
H/W OUT SPDIF 1/2 = H/W IN 1/2

I THINK THAT'S IT?? THIS IS SOOOOO APPRECIATED - THANKS A TON! TLC

Righty, Here's what I suggest.

1. Disconnect the midiman midi interface completely and set up your system to use the Audiophile midi interface.

2. Connect the Audiophile mini i/o to the midi i/o of the Roland. Check in your sequencer that you are getting midi signal to/from the Roland.

3. Connect the stereo outputs of the Roland to the Line 1 of your mixer. Does Cakewalk support Audio or is it just Midi? (I'm a logic user so don't know) If it does support Audio then you'll want a return (tape outs?) to the Audiophile input so you can record your Roland to an Audio track (careful with your monitoring/muting to avoid feedback loops)

4. Connect the stereo outputs of the Audiophile to the mixer channel 2 (or 3/4 if mono, panned hard left/right)

5. You won't need to connect anything to the spdif connectors on the Audiophile.

6. Test to make sure you can get a sound from the Roland and you can get sound back into the PC to an audio track.

7. Most multipart synths allow you to set up a TX and RX channel for each part. Set up a midi track in Cakewalk and set it to midi channel 1. Then set up the sound and set it to RX on channel 1. Then setup a new midi track and set it to channel 2 and then set up a new part on the synth and set the RX to channel 2. You should now be able to play 2 separate parts simultaneously.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi! Norty - thanks a WHOLE LOT for your help!! I know about setting up the TX/RX channels in the Roland - the problem is getting the selected parts to go to Cakewalk, although I have imported the XV-88 parts from Roland, and they are set up in Cakewalk.........I just want to ask -- In your set up above, you make no mention of the Behringer?? Can I still incorporate that into this setup??

I got this response FINALLY from M-Audio this morning, although it differs from yours (I like yours better) and will use yours, but as an FYI:

M_AUDIO: First off, you should disconnect the Midisport from the Audiophile's Midi interface, install the Midisport drivers and use the Midisport through USB
Secondly, you will want to familarize yourself with your Roland SV-88 settings, making sure it is set to send on different channels.
You may also want to contact Cakewalk tech support for further details regarding how Sonar uses Midi.
take care,
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Hi again - Norty - just realized that you did include the Behringer in the equasion -- But, I have an enormously dumb question: What do you mean by a sequencer? Is that my XV-88? I'm kinda new at this -- Thanks a lot, :)))) TLC

Hi again Norty - -- OK -- I set it up exactly like you said - I can record different patches on different tracks now (THANK YOU!!) -- BUT -- I still cannot play back more than one timbre at a time, i.e. I can record bass on track 2, lets say, but can't hear the piano on track 1 which I am accompanying -- These are all on midi, with the drums on an audio track (which I CAN HEAR WITH A SINGLE MIDI TRACK SIMULTANEOUSLY - ONLY) Is there something I should be doing to play back different patches on different tracks simultaneously (RX/TX settings maybe?? - just guessing? )? Almost there - would appreciate any help!! Thanks a billion - TLC

I got it!!! Just had to trick the Roland by alternately pressing perform/patch - It worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrks!! Can I give Norty 1000 stars for this?? You rock!! Thanks a billion! :)))))))))))))))))))))

Sorry so late in catching up with this, cheers for the stars!! :)

I should have been a bit more clear in my descriptions... a sequencer is anything that allows you to 'sequence' your musical parts (audio/midi/VSTi) so what I meant was Cakewalk but could equally have been Logic, Cubase, Reason

Good luck with your learning, it's steep at first but gets much easier quite quickly..

Norty - you ROCK!! You are the ONLY one I have spoken to (including M-Audio site, other techies I know, Roland site) who was able to fix it. and, I can't thank you enough :))))))))

Hi -- Norty (or a genius like him)-- I hope you are there?? REALLY HOPE you can help me -- Since Roland is closed til Monday & it's impossible to get someone on the phone -- Wondering if you could tell me what to do about a "midi overrun error" I am getting on my XV-88?? Sorry I am turning to you, for help -- but I am in dire straits here and need to get this running by Monday -- When I turn it on, I am getting just black squares in the lighted panel, i.e. no XV-88 message -- Do you know of a way to reset this?? At one point, I tried to export the banks back from the XV- EDITOR, and got a message on the actual Roland XV-88 -- FLAMING MIDI!! Keyboard does light up when turned on, but is not loading any memory......I would be EXTREMELY GRATEFUL if you could help -- Thanks a lot! Have a great weekend - TLC

Sorry if not in time but here goes anyway.

I assume you're doing a midi dump of your patches back to the synth. It may be that you've overflowed the buffer and it's crashed. If you have a manual there should be instructions on how to reset the keyboard to default factory settings (back to the original patch set, etc) It's normally a case of holding key combinations whilst powering on. Of course you will have to go thru and re-set all of your midi Tx/Rx etc

Happy fixing :)

Thanks Norty -- as usual, that worked!! I did the dump from the disk and -- my keyboard is back!! You are the BEST :)))

NORTY MY ULTIMATE HELPER - OR ANYONE WHO CAN HELP - HOPE YOU ARE OUT THERE!!

I just fixed everything above, with Norty's help (thank you)! Now, had to buy an additional sound card - E-MU 1212M so I could render midi to wav. I can't!! (Has anyone else out there gone thru this horror in the beginning?? Never mind - I know the answer to that one!)

All drivers are installed, DSP PATCH program is working (that one is a DILLY!) -- However, when I try to do Voice Testing with my mic - the signal DOES COME thru on the DSP mixer (program with the E-MU) however, will NOT record as audio in Cakewalk Pro and voice is not recognized in Sound/Audio Devices in XP Pro......The contol panel "slider" is grayed out on that one...I have installed all the WDM drivers, and I do get audio thru Winamp, just can't record or render it....5th day on this - losing sleep and life force!

DESPERATE FOR HELP PLEASE!! :O THANKS SO MUCH!

Are you just trying to record a midi track as audio? Is this a VSTi (internal) or your Roland (external). Your Audiophile card has audio inputs so I'm not sure why you needed another card. Were you advised that you needed this card or did you just think you did?

To record audio in any sequencer you should be able to write your midi part and then set up an audio track with the input to the track/channel coming from the soundcard input (or select the appropriate internal input in the case of VSTi) Then solo the midi part and press record and Cakewalk should play the midi part and record it as audio as it goes. You can then mute the midi part and check your audio recording is correct. A useful thing to use is a compressor/limiter on the input of the audio track to ensure you get a nice high signal level without clipping.

Hi Norty!! Thank you for being there! I found out that although an Audiophile will play audio and record midi, it will not record audio. So, I had to buy a second card.....When I try to record the audio track in cakewalk, it comes out blank. I have VST stuff in the computer (not sure what it is??) and have no problem recording midi now thanks to you. However, my computer did recognize the audio signal last nite for about 2 minutes, and when I restarted the computer, it did not -- again. So, I don't know what to do....As I said, the audio signal is not coming thru to cakewalk or the internal sound tester when I test the mic, and when I set up an extra track in cakewalk and either try to record the existing midi tracks OR try to record direct audio, it records a silent track, no matter how high I set the volume.

Thank you more than I can say for being there -- You are the only one who has known what to do with this so far!! Many thanks again, TLC

If you have the current Audiophile then it will record audio.

In the specs the 2x2 full duplex means it can not only play and record audio but will do so at the same time. I suggest if you do own this card that you return the new one and get a refund if possible. You have already spent extra money on a midi interface you don't need and now you have a sound card surplus to requirements.

Your problem seems to be that something is not properly configured. By adding another sound card (I'm assuming next to your Audiophile) you're only complicating matters both for the PC and for yourself. As I said before, try to keep everything you can as simple as possible that way there is less to go wrong.

In the picture below you can see that there are clearly 2 RCA inputs...

Let us know how you get on... :)

I just called E-MU & a techie is getting back to me. Supposedly, the Audiophile 2496 does not have a synth chip to do midi to audio rendering -- and M-Audio has not gotten back to me either -- Will let you know -- Thanks sooooooooo much -- Will surely write back :) TLC

What audio are you trying to record? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'rendering'. If you're trying to record the audio from your Roland synth that a midi track is playing then an onboard synth chip is irrelevant. If you're trying to render a plain midi file to audio then you're more than likely going to be restricted to a GM/GS/XG sound set which is slightly less than useless in any real world music application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back