Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cached Mode & Large Mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofusjtf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2004
US
I have an Exchange server running 2k3 sp2 using the IMF to help with SPAM along with the Outlook Junk Mail filter. to do this I need Outlook to be in Cached mode. Several users have large mailboxes: 2-3GB in Exchange which leads me to believe they are almost double that in the OST. Is there a threshold when Cached mode is not longer good to use?

Largest mailbox we've ever had was 10Gb. Marketing type, don't ask. :-(

They had however created lots of subfolders etc. so there weren't a great many items in any one folder. This helped with the sync. OL cache mode an OL responsiveness in general DOES slow down if there are too many items in a particular folder.
Something like 5000 for the Inbox for example IIRC.

Neill

20GB OST is deceptive and depends on what is in the mailbox. You shouldn't really worry.

Yes, 5,000 items per folder is the recommended maximum on both Exchange and OST though I've been testing performance with higher values - up to 50,000 is nicely stable, 373,000 was ok unless you want to delete a conversation that contains 99% of the emails in the folder... :)

That's some conversation. Although it probably has nothing on my wife and her mother. :-D

Neill

Far more important than the size of the mailbox is the number of items in each folder. Once the items exceed about 5000, the 11 default view fall out of the cache and must be generated on the fly each time. This can cause quite a bit of IO.

In Online mode this is a real issue in that it increased IO against the exchange server. In cached mode, is it an issue? Users that keep the item count down won't see any impact. Users that don't manage their mail will see client side impact on their client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back