Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cached Logon Problems - Domain Not Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels187

MIS
Dec 15, 2000
US
We have a couple laptop users that work from their home in several different states. These users logon to our domain with their account username and password and when it doesn't find the DC then it should still allow the logon to proceed because of the account being cached. After that they then proceed to connect to the domain via a VPN client. However, two different times with different users there is the problem where upon logon it tells them that they can not logon to the domain because it is not available. Can anyone please give me any insight to why this is happening? Is the account only cached for a length of time or is there a max number of logons using the cache. The users say nothing has changed from the last time they logged into the computer. The OS is XP Pro and we are in an AD enviroment. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the reply bcastner, however i am already aware of the limit to how many previous logins it will cache. In the instance of my problem, the user logs in with the same account info everytime. It almost seems like the cache has been emptied or over-written.

Thank you again for the reply. I think that reconnecting physically to the domain is what is going to have to happen. I was hoping to avoid such a such an action. We do have a password policy and the article listed above won't reset passwords to domain accounts. Thank you for your help on this.

That is for local users and groups only. Domain accounts can not be reset using this particular method.

You can get access to the computer by this method. Which I thought was your question.

You can, as Administrator, also use the Net User command line with the /Domain argument.

Finally, you can use dsmod.

Whatever you use, you will have access again to the laptop which I thought was your objective.

After doing as Microsoft suggested, when you finally attach to your Domain to access my mapped resources, windows will ask for the right password. Also another ballon tip will appear which asks you to lock the machine and then to logon again with a new password. The local cached password is now synchronized. Restart the laptop and you will be able to logon with the new password.

I apologize for not being clear on what he is able to access. We are able to get into the computer by talking him through logging into the local admin account. He is shipping the unit to us now. Also, you were right before about the cached logon limit as i assumed that he was set to the default of 10 and upon further inspection, i have learned from our net admin that the group policy is setting the limit to 2. So i thank you for your patience and expertise in helping me with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back