Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cache roaming profile not deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljCharlie

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2003
US
Any know why a cached roaming profile is not deleted from the client computer? I did specify in the group policy to delete the cached roaming profile both on the user and machine policy but it's still not deleting it.

Any suggestion is grateful!

ljCharlie

it could be a permissions issue...
hmmm.. check the logs on the machine, maybe something in there might help..

otherwise, i dont know, never come across that yet.

i know it is deleted automatically when the user is a guest!!

Aftertaf (david)
MCSA 2003

I am having the same problem and it's not about permissions. Mine is a little different in that my users are all logging in via terminal server. I've set their profile directory and local directories to \\server\share\users\%username%. When the user first logs in it creates all appropriate files and directories in this network directory but it ALSO creates a duplicate version in c:\documents and settings\%usersname%. I have the flag set in GPO to delete local cached user profile but when the user logs off the profile remains on the c: drive of the terminal server.

Anyone have any ideas?

I found a work around to the problem. I tried everything I could using Group Policy and folder re-direction to no avail. At this point I decided to edit the registry and change the location of where Terminal Services profiles are stored. Here is how you do it:

1. Create a Documents and Settings Folder on the partition.
2. Modify HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory using a Reg_Sz value to specify the new location.
3. Restart the server.
4. Copy the Default and All Users profiles to the new location.

I found this info in the following article:

Well, the problem I have was not a terminal profile issue. The problem is regarding roaming domain user profile. I've checked the Resultant Set of Policy mmc and everything is working without any errors but it just doesn't delete the profile once the user log off the client computer.

I hear you. When you do find the solution to your problem please remember to post it. I am sure I will come up against it at some point as well. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back