Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cache help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanishfleee

Technical User
Jun 1, 2005
GB
would it be better to get an AMD 3700 with 1Mb of cache or an AMD 3800 (which is 200MHz faster) with 512Kb of cache. A

Also, For my son, Which would be better for playing games with

Thank you for your help

By the way they are both AMD athlons 64 CPU's. with 939 pins.

Dont know if that helps

1.) that would depend on what you are gonna use the PC for... go with the 3700 if your main goal is to play games and do Video conversion...

2.) actually the speed increase of 200mhz on the 3800 isn't hardly noticed, where as the larger Cache on the 3700 will be...

this is my opinion...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Thanks i probably will go with the 3700 now not the 3800, unless some one can come up with a different reason.

I'm with B B B I think more cache would be the best option

I remember there being similar debates between the 3400 and 3500 but in that particular case the 3400 was socket 754 against the 3500's socket 939.
That was also pretty close but the 3500 won over because of the better dual channel platform.

I would also say the 3700 but doubt there is much in it and presumably the 3700 is also cheaper?

Save your money and put it towards a better graphics card (if gaming is his thing then the GPU makes far more differance than the CPU)
or low latency OCZ/Mushkin/Crucial Ballistix memory with nice tight 2 2 2 6 1T or similar timings.

Remember Nforce4 chipset is the best for gaming (well actually best for everything) although Via's KT890 runs a close second with rock stable performance.

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back