Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cabling and router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmandu

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2001
US
I have a linksys 4 port router connected to my cable modem. I have three users on it at home. We can all access the internet with no problem (dynamic ip addressising for the workstations). My question is two fold - is there away we can use the router to network our pcs so we can play a game between ourselves and not have to make up special cables and pull the other cables off. I have one WIn 95, one win 98 and one winME computer. The game does allow you to play between different players at home and on ther internet.

2.) we can't get the game to work over the internet (connect my first home pc to my second homepc) either because of the router and the fact that its hiding the true ip address I guess behind "firewall" of router. I can use DMZ and open one ip up to both directions but this did not work.

Thanks

To wybnormal and any one else that know about linksys routers -- if yo see this I have just verified that the ports that I need to be open on the linksys router can not be opened according to the info at their website ( So I've been pulling my hair out for nuthin.
I might try the dmz zone and see it this will at least allow two people to play. Does this make sense --> I open the dmz for one of my pcs on the router - and then try to connct the other pc to that dmz port- It seems like that should work - or will it still not let my other pc in because it is not open. You can only dmz one ip at a time.

Thanks

Which ports are these??? Time to get a Cisco 1600 series off eBay ;-) Maybe one of the other "cheap" routers will work.. Asante? Netgear?? Check the gaming mags for any articles on this subject.. maybe the newsgroups could be of help..

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back