Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CableIQ testresults

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardOverhead

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2013
Hallo,

After testing a number of CAT6 cables I got below error messages:

Lenght:
12 - 55,6
36 - ~42,5
45 - ~42,3
78 - 54,9
1000Base-T, Disqualified, Length (Termination fault)
100Base-TX, Disqualified, Length (Termination fault)
100Base-T, Disqualified, Length (Termination fault)
Voice Over IP, Disqualified, Length (Termination fault)

or

Lenght:
12 - 74,2
36 - 76,4
45 - 75,8,3
78 - 73,6
1000Base-T, Disqualified, Impedance fault
100Base-TX, Disqualified, Impedance fault
Voice Over IP, Disqualified, Impedance fault

What do these massages mean? Could it be that's somthing wrong with the cable?

Thaks in advance.

Hallo everyone, thanks again for all your input.
I think I know what ultimately the culprit is. I have discovered (by chance) water and moisture in some of the cables. No idea how that could have happened.
It's now a matter of first replacing some of those cables and from there see what needs to be done.

Anyone an idea how that could happen?

I'll let you know if the problem is solved after replacing the cables.

Usually a leaky AC unit in the ceiling. Maybe a tray that overflowed or such above the cabling.

However, can water so easily penetrate the cable jacket? Or, can it be enough - that you do not make it through the test - if the cable only comes into contact with water?

It shouldn't penetrate the jacket unless it was submerged or in direct contact with the water for a long time. The only way would be one end or the other (patch panel or jack)

One way for water or moisture to get into a cable is jacket damage. If the jacket was snagged or ripped during an installation pull, that could account for the damage. This is why paying close attention to all phases of cable installation is important. Things happen when the installers or supervisors do not pay attention to their work or perform spot inspections!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back